1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

MOUNTING STAND POLL (expanding on Ron K's earlier post) please vote

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Pescado, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Once you have answered please please respond so we know who does and who doesn't.

Thanks,
    PB

what a idiot, I voted yes by mistake.

2. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

So modify the poll Pescado. I use one, and yes, I always have to clean up the spot where the stand attaches to the fish.

3. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

On fish over 50" we always use a stand for obvious reasons. Anything smaller than that gets a wood " paddle" and is hand held.

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Yes, mounting stand...

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

no reason not to.

6. Terry

Terry De-lighted to be living in Alaska!

Yes, I use a mounting stand. I posted photos a week or so back, in response to someone's question.

7. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Never. I use two wood dowels hot glued into the back side of the fish, which then gets glued into the two holes in the driftwood or panel. Bigger fish takes larger dowels and smaller fish of course take smaller dowels. Never more than 3 inches apart.

8. nortron32

nortron32 New Member

Ive always used a mounting stand

9. Natures Art

Natures Art Gone Fishin!!!

I either use a fully articulating stand or a cradle for 360deg. mounts

10. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

I use a mounting stand as well. Sometimes I attach a stick to the fish to use as a handle when painting. On my competiton pedestal fish I will just hold the fish any way.

Todd B

11. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

I use a camera tripod , it allows any angle and height adjustment as well as rotation for front and rear view .

12. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I rarely use a stand. I can't imagine trying to tip scales without holding the fish. Most of my coldwater fish are painted before the fins are attached, so that is not a problem. Also, I am not worried about fingerprints etc, until after the gloss is applied.

13. Ron K

Ron K New Member

I have always used something to hold a fish while painting, one thing or another, but I,ve kinda settled on this Ram Mount thats used to hold GPS etc. Ron Knoll

14. would be lost without one.

15. Mountain Man

Mountain Man New Member

Unless it is a really biggun I just use a cradle.

16. I use my Lap.
    Same with painting. 80% of the time I am painting my fish at a table in my kitchen listening to may stereo.
    I dont use an airbrush so its not messy at all.

If I do use an airbrush I normally set it on the table on a sand bag.

17. Wild Bill

Wild Bill If my hats missing im fishing

I always use them. I had my buddy fabricate these for me. I can raise and tilt to any desired position. I have 12 of them so I can line up an Assembly line. ;)

[​IMG]

18. Wild Bill

Wild Bill If my hats missing im fishing

This one I use to scale tip with. I can take the fish off while scale tipping if I want to.

[​IMG]

19. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Well, I have the best of both worlds. I posted this somewhere before with pics, but I no longer have the pics. I have stands similar to Wild Bill's pics. Then each fish (wall mounts) are held via a board (1x6's typically) with two to three dowels poking out where I shove the backside of the fish onto. The board has 6 eye screws in it screwed into the 1" sides. One on each end, two on top and two on bottom. Then, my stand have two long bolts poking through the holes on the stand on an upward angle. These bolts line up distance-wise with the two eye screw holes. All of my fish holders eye screws are equidistant to sit on the stands properly. Now, all I do is rest the fish on the stand through the eye screws onto the two bolts. I have 4 possible positions. Belly down on the two eye screws or belly up on the two eye screws. Or, head up on one of the eye screws or head down. The stand swivels 360 degrees and can be raised and locked if need be (rarely do this, but all depends on the size of the fish). Normal painting is with fish hanging on the stand. Then if I want to tip scales or whatever, I simply remove the fish (on the board) from the stand via quickly sliding it off of the bolts and sit down and tip. If I want to go back and paint, the eye screws go over the bolts again. It's a quite simple, but ingenious method (Thank DougP for that!!!) Once done, I also try to re-use the holes that the fish holders created to insert the new dowels for my fish to hold onto the driftwood or plaque.

Of course for a table mount (again) I use the single dowel up the bootie instead - lol! (Typically, unless I plan on having the attachment point in back, then I may use the holders and stand)...

20. jkidd

jkidd New Member

I use a 1 x 2 screwed to the back of the fish for a handle. This is for a wall mount fish.