1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bottom jaw removal?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by newbie07, Jan 28, 2008.

1. newbie07

newbie07 New Member

how do you go about removing the bottom jaw for a euro mount? thanks!

2. Oak Leaf

Oak Leaf New Member

It practically falls off once you remove all the meat, muscle and tissue.

If you're trying to remove it before you remove the meat and tissue, you simply cut through whatever is holding it in place. There will be meat below the ears that holds it, meat around the cheeks, meat in the neck, etc...Basically there is a whole lot of meat holding it in place.

This is assuming you're talking about whitetailed deer of course.

I dont know about other animals, but I'll assume most are the same.

3. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

Open the mouth and you can feel where the jaw line is make a few cuts to loose up and then you can give it the good old lower jaw north and upper jaw south pull this will expose most of what you will need to cut out, And like Oak Leaf said if you simmer, beetle, or masacrate enough of the meat off it will fall off by itself.

4. I would suggest to gently remove as much meat as possble and clean the skull with bottom jaw attached. Wether you are using beetles, masceration, or boiling, the jaw will come off easy once tissue is gone. If you are not experienced with the proceedures and animal, you risk cutting or scratching the skull with the knife and it may be visible on a finished mount.