1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First attempt

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Beavis, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Beavis

Beavis Member

This is my first attempt at anything remotely related to taxidermy. This is a replica bass I had done about 10 years ago. THIS IS BY NO MEANS, A CRITICISM OF THAT PERSONS WORK. I returned home Christmas day to find it on the floor with a broken tail. It had hung in the same spot since 1997. I figured I'd repair and re-paint it. These are the before and after.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Not to criticize, but your repair job looks great. Much better than before. It fell for a reason. ;D Thanks for sharing.

3. hoho

hoho New Member

I have not done any fish myself but if my first one turned out half that good I would be very happy. That looks great to me. Very good job

Mike

4. wow, great job, big improvement.

5. looks alot better

6. You win

7. Looks like you found a new hobby :D

8. Ihntdeer

Ihntdeer Member

It looks much better now, cogratulations!

9. Bevis, did you add new fins to your fish? They look totally different then before.

10. Beavis

Beavis Member

Marsh Master, those are the original fins simply repainted. Its probably the position of fish, making them look different. Thanks all.
    Donny

11. Yep, it's the angle. Looks great!

12. Kenny

Kenny New Member

Awesome improvement. Did you use reference pics.?

13. Beavis

Beavis Member

I used the drawing in Tom Sexton's book for the markings, the rest I just "paint 'em as I see 'em", no schedule, etc. I painted this fish at least 8 times before I was happy. Thanks again all.

14. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

WOW you totally improved that fish big time :) I really like it..
    Mind you I just catch fish I dont mount them, but I really like the colors on yours better than the before Pic..