1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wires sticking out of wings?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by mooser, Jan 29, 2008.

1. mooser

mooser New Member

How many people mount birds by pushing the wire all the way through the wings and what does this achieve?

2. amerriam

amerriam Alright, Baseball's Back!!

I do it because that was the way I was taught. I tried cutting the wires to the correct length and i could not seem to figure it out. Either they would be too short and I couldn't get the wings to look right, or they would be just to long where I would have to clip them anyway. The one advantage I have found with the wires sticking out is that it helps me to extended the primary's for a better wing position. But if you can get your primary's extended and get your desired wing position with out sticking the wire through the wing, I would do that. The least amount of steps the better.

3. gadwig

gadwig New Member

This is what I do. I don't know if I read it some where, saw it in a video or dreamt it. But I cape the wing, then I secure the appropriate wing wire to the wing by wrapping a small 22 guage wire around the wing wire and wing bones. This wing wire starts at the wrist and is bent at the elbow. I then wrap poly fill around everything and tie with string, replacing the meat.

4. Glass eye

Glass eye New Member

That's the only way I've ever done it. I tried to do it the other way and it never worked for me.
    I'm sure someone here is going to tell me that I'm doing it WRONG.