1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mule deer eyes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Nate Thompson, Jan 30, 2008.

1. I'm working on a mule deer and the right eye opening is considerably smaller that the left. Has anyone had this problem and what is the best way to fix it so it looks good? I was thinking about cutting it out to the same size, taking more from the back. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. frank

frank New Member

I 've ran into this before on a canadian w.t. I opened the small one up as much as possible and closed the normal sized eye up to match,so it gave them a slightly sleepy look which would still be corect in nature. I found out later from the hunter that the deer had one eye put out probably from fighting.Then it all made sense. Of course i couldn't resist telling him that this is why he killed that deer,caught him on his blind side!

3. Matt

Matt Active Member

I had one like that a few years ago. A wt came it with the left eye bulging out from fighting. After it came back from the tannery, it was still alittle bigger than the right. I mounted as usual and it turned out fine, couldn't tell.