1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Masters blend

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Jim Berna, Sep 6, 2006.

1. I tried the search feature, unsuccessfully. Can someone clue me in on who carries this brand of injection fluid?

2. mckenzie- type mbp in the search & research mannikin

3. Bird turd.

Bird turd. Guest

Masters Blend is good stuff. When using be sure to have several syringes on hand. Rinse them with acetone or lacquer thinner between injections.

Additionally do only one leg at a time. Reason for this is if MB sets up on the exterior of the leg/foot paint will;( never stick. So be sure and scrub the excess MB from the foot before it sets up, again using acetone or lacquer thinner. I use a worn tooth brush for this.

Good luck.

4. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

Also, when storing Master's Blend, I heard it is best to keep in the refridgerator. Part B tends to harden after a while, but for some reason, the fridge keeps it from hardening.
    I like to remove my duck's feet, then inject them. This way, you won't worry about getting the stuff all over the duck's feathers. Then, you just put the finished leg back onto the skin, zap-a-gap it, and proceed with mounting. This method is easier on flying birds, but can be done on standing birds too. You just have to get the feet in the right position, because once they harden, you can't really change the pose. Good luck!
    Becky

5. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I remove the feet from the bird and inject with MB, then drop the foot in a jar of acetone (laquer thinner also works). The acetone keeps the MB from running out the injection hole. On standing birds, I run the wire out the foot in the front center of the pad. When I inject, I retract the wire up inside the leg and inject. Then I drop it in acetone. I will pull the leg out and make sure the ankle joint doesn't lock up straight (like flying). When the MB has set up good, I paint the feet and mount the bird. When the bird is posed on the base, I place a piece of cardboard over the foot and tape or pin it to the base to make the feet conform. Sometimes, I let the feet sit overnight after injecting and painting and before mounting and posing. I have seen no ill effects.

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

On tip on masters blend. I believe Tony F. put it best, take a single syringe and fill half with part A and wipe the end and stick in into part B and fill the other half. Shake and inject. I have been doing it this way for years and it works really well. Keep in mind when I say half I don't mean half of the syringe. Just make sure you mix 50/50 whatever the volume you are using and this will depend on the bird you are injecting. Another thing to save some time is about 15-20 min. before you decide to do your injecting, stick both bottles in the freezer. This will give you alittle more time to inject. After using it for so long, I like the fact that it sets up quick. And it will set up quick at room temp. Good luck and enjoy.

7. Brian Nelson

Brian Nelson Guest

I get my masters blend from Research Mankins you can get it in 8 oz or 16 oz cans .

8. Carl Edwards

Carl Edwards New Member

Hi Jim, I also get mine from Research. I'm a west coast guy, so they get my supplies to me pretty quick from their Oregon warehouse.
    I know you didn't ask for advise on "how" to use it, but I thought I'd mention the way I saw Stefan Savides use it. Put a little of each part in seperate cups. With a syringe pull out half and half, (only enough to use up). Before it sets up, fill up your syringe with part A. That will give you time to do clean up etc. and your syringe won't clog up. When your ready for the next injection, shoot out half the part A, and pull up the part B. Works great, I just did both legs on a turkey with one small syring using this method.