1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anybody know the legal status of Woodchucks in New York?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Albie, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Albie

Albie Member

I'm a taxidermist in Wisconsin where Woodchucks (Groundhogs) are protected. I have a client who wants to import one from New York sate for me to mount. My local Warden tells me that, while it's in my possession, I only need documentation proving it was shipped from New York providing we aren't violating any laws in New York. Can any of you New York folks enlighten me as to the legal status of this species in your state? Or, perhaps provide me with a phone number of a Warden in New York that I can pose this question to. Thanks much.
    Little Al

2. catskillmtn

catskillmtn New Member

There is no limit on them or season here in NY.
    kill as many as you want day or night with gun or car.,but here is the # to call for yourself. 518 402 8883

3. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Or, drive over here to MN and shoot your own. They are a pest, like skunks. I think they have more of them further east though.

4. Albie

Albie Member

Thank you for the help!

5. Crittercoroner

Crittercoroner DUDE, your uselessness is epic!

nj
    how many you want, I'll get you a few as soon as they come out from under the shed, as long as you don't mind a broadhead hole here or there.

no limit here in NJ and pretty much no closed season either.

sky rats are crows
    sky carp are canadian geese
    land carp are whitetails
    what are we gonna call groundhogs besides woodchucks or whistlepigs??