1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1st Lifesize WT ?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Timber Rattler, Feb 1, 2008.

1. I skinned out my first whitetail for a life size mount the other day, just wanted to see if anyone would throw out a few pointers while I am looking around. I am not sure what position I am going to mount him in yet. I made a dorsal cut from between the shoulders down to about 2 inches from the tail. After rolling this thing around on the table for about an hour I finally had him skinned out. I only made the one incision, I skinned down the legs to the knee joint and cut off the leg in the joint. I am thinking of mounting him laying down at this point. I know I will make an incision on the bottom of the tail, but I am not real sure about the incisions on the legs. I have mounted several yotes and other small mammals. Any help on incisions would be greatly appreciated.

TR

2. You have already shot yourself in the foot if you're going to mount the deer laying down with a dorsal incision.I would go with something standing up.

3. I have dorsal cut just about all of my yotes. I am not great at sewing but the stiches hide well on them. I'm sure these will be a different ball game though. At this point I can mount in what ever position I need to, I have not committed to laying down. Thanks for the pointers though.
    TR

4. jorgy

jorgy Member

I think you are going to have problems with the seam by dorsal cutting a lifesize deer

5. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

yep, i love the dorsal cut on most things, but deer are not one of them, and neither are mt. lions, you wont be happy with the seam on them, always rug cut it, when the hair is short, definitely do a standing deer, Russ

6. Do you mean standing as in on 2 legs jumping so the back is hidden (on 2 legs), or just a pose on all fours? Maybe I just need to scrap this idea and save the shoulder cape. Thanks for the input.

TR

7. Some guys dorsal cut a whitetail and say they have good success but I can't hide my stiches that well.I've seen dosal whitetails and you could see a seam on all of them.I think if you use a small needle and thread(dental floss) with a dremeled out trench filled with clay you might get away with it.Make sure you get plenty of hide paste under the seam and then card with window screen and t-pins.On a laying down animal a belly seam is best as you can cut and tuck in the leg areas without having to sew.

8. Thank You.

TR

9. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

TR I wish I had the time to attempt that myself. Good Luck!

10. Roger E

Roger E Member

MT
    I have to disagree, if you can sew, you should be just fine. The dorsal cut is the one I use almost always, and have had no problems. Go for it.

11. Thank you all for the input. I just dont want to waiste the money on a form for a bad looking piece of work. I am trying to alleviate as many obsticles as possible. This piece will be for display in my shop (if presentable) If not it will be used as an expensive bow target. ;D

TR

12. Rocky River

Rocky River New Member

a standing mount will be easier and you should be fine with a dorsal cut

13. Thanks
    TR