1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

iciclles from artificial water?

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by jerryn, Feb 3, 2008.

1. jerryn

jerryn Member

icicles from artificial water? can someone tell me how to mix art. water to make small icicles, 1st attemt to use it , took some cotton yesterday and soaked it in the miix and pinned them up so they will drip and had not harded as of 6 hours, need the formula and how long it will take to harden thank you

2. Sikk

Sikk Member

may need to add more hardener? catalyst? paul

3. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    read the directions i think at room temp its 10-12drops hardener per ounce of resin. you can also put a small heater in front of it as it cures then it will cure a lot faster.

4. Paul K

Paul K New Member

I'm not familiar with the resin you speak of but thats how I do it using envirotex. I let them hang 24 hrs. very realistic

5. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    yep envirotex is a 1:1 ratio.

6. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

I've made it like this: Made the icicle from childrens modeling wax and added texture by rolling it on a table with somethin round shaped like brush's handpiece. Then made a mold with silicone and acrylic paint like Josh adviced on simple mold making topic. It's easy,if you frost that modeling wax icicle in freezer so it's hard enough. When you have a mold,you can take the wax icicle off and pour artificial water to mold. You can get different sizes of icicles dependin if you pour your mold all the way full or just a half way. Let them cure overnight,gives the best results. When you attach the icicle on your habitat,pour a little artificial water to make it clear. With this you can achieve very sharp end to icicles too!! There could be easier way to do this,but this is the way I make them lately...

7. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I made some the same way with smooth-on Crystal Clear 200. Something that helps is cotton that is used by beauticians (I have no idea what for) that is similar to a rope. It can be pulled to a point and made any length you want. It also seems to help to put several coats to get a clear outer layer.

8. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

call me 705-476-0483 I will walk you through it

9. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Another way is make them from plexiclass and after sanding them in right shape and size you can dip them into artificial water and they'll come clear looking..

10. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

man you's guys sure like to work the hard way, no imagination , unbelievable................................

11. PWS

PWS Active Member

And your recommended method would be????

12. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

there are many methods of making icicles. Usually, the cheaper you make them, the cheaper they look.. what we used to do was carve an icicle, make a rubber mold, then pour 20 minute casting resin into the mold. Make sure you have a wire going into the mold with a loop on it going down about 1/2 inch from the top. If using the right resins, you can pull in about twenty to thirty minutes. Make sure the resin is mixed very well or you will end up with sticky icicles.

13. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

like I said call me so easy , pick up the phone , I don't have all day to play on the computer.

14. Dead Head Taxidermy

Dead Head Taxidermy New Member

try using clear hot glue. start with a small stick and squirt the melted glue onto the small stick working it into shape works well. Not quite as nice looking as resin but will work.

15. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

dip real icicles into melted wax...works great but can only be cast once as you have to break mold to get them out........after attaching them put on a clear coat of resin.....yeah Laurier what up all talk no type...

16. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

If you really want to make it easy?...Get "yourself a Tampon, "Yep, Thats what I typed!" and use that for your base to coat with envirotex! It comes factory equipped with a hanging string! ;D

No MichealP!...You don't want me to do a tutorial on this!!

17. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

You have no balls E.J.!

18. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Yep, I think we need a tutorial ;)

19. Studio106

Studio106 New Member

I like using Polytranspar's artificial water and cotton. Just mix the catalyst with the resin, pull some cotton into longer thinner strips, put it in your cup of resin and saturate it, then hang from something ( either on the habitat that you want to use it on or something that you can pin it to to let it hang). You can shape the icicle by pulling on the cotton with a T-pin to make the icicle longer, or make it wider, etc. It's a lot of trial and error and just experimenting. The main thing is to make sure that the proper amount of catalyst is used or you will have icicles that don't harden completely and are tacky, or the resin could yellow or crack if too much catalyst is used. The breakthrough habitat manual has a decent section on working with the Polytranspar artificial water. There is a chart with a breakdown of resin to catalyst ratios. Put a cup under it or some plastic to catch the drips. After it hardens you can attach it using some more artificial water, an epoxy, hot glue, etc. You can also make icicle molds using carrots or parsnips, or making icicles out of an oil based clay, then mold it and cast them. I like mixing the resin/catalyst at a 1.5% ratio. That will give me a 10-15 minute working time and I don't have to worry about it remaining tacky after it is done catalyzing. I use a syringe to measure out the catalyst. After you become familiar with using it, it becomes a quick and efficient way to measure it out, not to mention accurate which is a must. Just experiment and use your imagination, just don't experiment on a clients work ;D.