1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Molding & Casting Fish short video

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Hawaiian Game Fish, Feb 3, 2008.

1. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

Neat !! Well done !
    I like the intro flash ;)

2. Thanks so much Aaron!

Been admiring your repros work and the amount of work you have been getting! Weather here in Hawaii is horrendous and stormy! Business is slow and Im hoping it picks up soon so I can get back to my passion of fiberglassing and painting fish!

Aloha
    Layne

3. Very cool!!!!! Thanks for sharing Layne!!!!

4. This IS very cool.

Thanks a bunch Layne!!

5. That was very cool!!!! thank's

6. Thank you for the nice replies!
    That footage was taken many years ago and I only got to edit it today. The weather here in Hilo is horrendous raining and storming and the only thing to do was sit by the computer and edit video.

So now everyone knows how cave man like I mold fish. I usually use my 9 foot sandbox but this one was posed straight so i did it right on my work table.

Aloha,looking for the sun to shine!
    Layne

7. Its cool Because when I saw the stills of you making a mold I always thought the Molding Material was Silicone, because of the Blue.
    But when I showed my wife she said "Maybe it is bondo, remember the blue hardener we used in school"
    :)
    Now the Mystery is solved ;D

8. Josh

Yes it is bondo! I use the lightweight stuff that comes with the blue paste.
    As for silicone, I use both dragonskin and rebound 25 by smooth on.

Aloha
    Layne

9. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Layne!!!!

I have to say t you my friend Bravo!!!! This is a gift of your wonderful talents you share with all of us!!! Man I love it when some one cool does some thing cool for all of to see and say WOW thats COOL!

My Brother you are a gifted and a most generous gentleman!
    Thank you so much!!!
    Your friend
    Rick Krane

10. Brother Rick

Thank you for the very kind coments!
    Video has become one of my passions and I invested in a small fortune on a pro camcorder and some editing programs.

I hope to contribute a little of what i know and what I am doing out here in Hawaii.

I have been filming a lot of stuff of my father in law and his fishing the old Hawaiian way with a bamboo pole.

As for myself, I prefer fishing with the updated graphite poles and reels! I hope to film a few shore fishing for giant trevally known here as the ulua. we use a slide bati technique.

I sure wish the weather would let up here in Hawaii. It is cold and rainy and my workshop in flooded from the rains. I miss fishing and making fish!

Will be sure to share more !
    Aloha
    Layne

11. Good Work Layne !
    Thanks for sharing !

12. Don Houser

Don Houser Don's Taxidermy Studio

Layne,
    Great video! I am new to molding & casting. What is the fish first laying on that you washed off? Is it borax?

Thank You,
    Don

13. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

Nice presentation Layne. I can smell the fumes from here--lol.

14. tracy

tracy coon dogs

loved it and spent some time on your other videos to as well
    loved them all
    THANK YOU

15. Hi Don

That material is called High Fibe and it is a bedding material I wish was accessable in Hawaii. I can only get it by ordering in 50 lbs bags from California at a place called Hills Brothers. It is great stuff when molding fish! You can reuse it over an over again just be sure to add in Pine sol to get rid of the rotten fish smell.

16. GRUCH
    LOL! Fumes is something I will never get used to when molding and casting fish.

Thanks for watching the rest of my vids Tracy! Those are segments from a full lenght movie I am making of my father inlaw.

17. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

Wow, That was fantastic. Thanks a million. It's truly a confidence builder for us that have never tried it.

18. Hey bill4 bass

It is really something you dont get in one try, but my intent is to do just that to build confidence in those who have the passion and drive to learn to mold.

Once you do learn it, It is a knowledge worth it's weight in gold!

Good Luck
    Layne

19. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

The only thing that could've made it better is a little Jack Johnson or Brudda IZ- he he Very Cool!