1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Molding & Casting Fish short video

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Hawaiian Game Fish, Feb 3, 2008.

1. den007

den007 Active Member

Hey Layne.....do you know a fishing guide in those parts by the name of Stan Wright? He does peacock bass trips and bonefish. They have a fly shop as well.

Enjoyed the lesson......wish it was that fast and easy!

Den

2. Hey Dave

You sure know the recent Hawaiian Mucisians! Jack is cool and Iz legendary!

Den

Stan Wright is a legendary fisherman and photographer here in Hawaii. When I was a kid about 30 something years ago, I use to watch him on TV as a guest on our only Fishing Show Let's Go fishing. It was sure funny seeing him during the cooking segment and how he couldnt stand raw fish...

We Hawaii people sure love our raw fish or sashimi!

Aloha
    Layne

3. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Thanks, I always wanted to see someone elses techniques. Great Job!

4. Kbauman

Thank you the the nice reply! I have to admit, that my molding method is rather barbaric and not as neat as others. I also had on latex gloves due to my liver count being really bad, took a Billiburin test and found that the solvents were getting the best of me.

After about a year working with protection like gloves and a full face respirator, My liver is back to normal.

I will hopefully put up a silicone molding video or painting video next

Have a great work week
    Layne

5. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and skill!

6. guild66

guild66 New Member

great vid, I had posted in the molding and casting section about a couple of questions that were confusing to me but after seeing your video it cleared them up for me and i now feel confident i will beable to finish my project on time. i am looking forward to seeing the silicone video. thank you for posting the video

7. Elkins Taxidermy Your welcome!
    Guild66
    I am glad that short video helped you with molding. There is one step that is not shown and it is of the thickened resin made by using cabosil mixed with marine laminating. I mix up a batch to a consistency of peanut butter and brush them into the area where I know will have air pockets when I laminate with the resin and fiberglass mat. This mixture is known as squeez out and I also put it in a newpaper cone to put along the borders of the fish so that everything is welded together internally.

8. guild66

guild66 New Member

ok one more question? the newspaper cone do you put it inside the mold? or do you put the resin mixture into a news paper cone and apply it to the edges of the fish before you close the mold?

9. Hi again sorry for not explaining more detailed. I mix up a batch of marine laminating with cabosil to the consistency of peanut butter. This consistency also prevents roll off and keeps the resin where you squeezed it on.

I then place this mixture in a newspaper cone and cut off the tip of the cone about 1 inch. I then squeeze out this along the inside border of the fish where everything will be connected or the seam area. for the thin areas like the fins I only do it on one side. Areas such as the head will be needed to be done on both sides. After you apply this squeeze out mixture to the two halfs you are ready to put your two side of the mold together and clamp them shut.

I also forgot to mention before you shut the mold, laminate a block of wood on the side of the mold that is on the bottom. This will be your stud for you to screw in your hanger.

Hope this helps!
    Layne

10. ET-Taxidermy

ET-Taxidermy New Member

Link does not work anymore

11. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

he's on youtube...just search for molding and casting fish

12. farikhah

farikhah really really want develop taxidermy in my country

I'm sorry the http address now is forbidden.

13. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

it s still there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQP5ZIfXUpo

14. farikhah

farikhah really really want develop taxidermy in my country

Thank you very much, I got it

15. really cool.... thanks for sharing....