1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what kind of salt do YOU like?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by cold trapper, Nov 11, 2006.

1. cold trapper

cold trapper age 15 a trapperman w/7 prime rats!

i prefer the morton yellow bag water purification salt. cheep at 8 cent per lb. extremely high quality. i do not think it contains iodine like table salt does.
    anybody got a favorite?
    :)

2. Western Rivers

Western Rivers Wolves are Idaho's #1 Poacher!

I use plain mixing salt from the feed store.

3. We've used the cheapest salt we can buy.........and been using the same mixture for over 30 years now. BOAT and SHORE extra fine salt by CARGILL.....we buy close to two tons a year. Never worried about iodized versus non iodized...ever.

4. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Some salt is agrivating. While it serves its purpose, it contains foreign matter, that plays havoc, on keeping a shaving machine blade sharp. "dirt,sand,etc." If it leaves a dirty foam, after mixing, you can expect to have problems with jumps. (blade chatter, etc.)

5. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

I also use mixing salt from feed store.

6. Larry B

Larry B New Member

Feed store salt here too.

7. mount it

mount it My Mount

I to use the cheap plain salt from farm or feed stores. You can get the fine grade plain salt from wal mart in the boxes. It runs a little higher per # but is very fine and mixes well in the pickle.Randall

8. B KENNEDY

B KENNEDY “THE YOUNG GUN”

OHIO
    I get mine from the feed store too. cheapest way to go in my area. $3.00 for 45 lbs.

9. jacobson

jacobson New Member

In wisconsin blain farm and fleet feed salt 2.89 for 50 Lbs.

10. djarvis

djarvis New Member

In New Brunswick Canada feed salt at the feed store is $12.00 Cdn per 40 kg. I just bought 10 bags.

11. Nick

Nick New Member

Feed salt from local farm supply. Runs $11 for 100 lbs.

12. I usually buy the cheap $0.35 non-iodized salty from the supermarket in increments of about 10-20 containers, but when i move i will probably switch to feedstore salt..50lbs at a time

13. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I do like Elk- I buy the non iodized at walmart for 33 cents a container.. Yesterday I wiped out their whole section. 29 little containers LOL.. Wish I could find it in bigger bags. because really at 33 cents it gets expensive compared to buying a 100 lb bag..

14. Rae...you should be able to get the same at the local feed store...if you have one in your neighborhood..we have one but they don't have 50 lb bags, and it is the black speckled cattle salt...BIG NO_NO

15. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Ill check and see..Have to go to the feed store MOnday anyhow.... Is there a certain type to ask for? ANd what exactly is feed salt?
    IM about to start the deer capes and using all those little containers is a PITA... WOuld MUCH rather have a bigger bag...
    My husbands friend got me a 25 lb bag from Costco, Im trying it on a coon hide right now in Krowtan. If it works then I at least I can get it there whenever his friend goes. . it was 3.29 for 25 lbs. Makes it about 13 cents a lb, vs 33 cents.. I like being able to scoop it out of the bag :)

16. You should be able to find regular non iodized salt there as well...just in much bigger bags...also try the supermartkets that carry the "fill yer own bag" type of salt, spices, cereals, and candies...big ones like Costco type warehouse supermarkets...

17. Second Chances

Second Chances New Member

At the local feed store (souther states) they call the salt evaporated salt or "S and S" salt. It is from cargill and there is also two types. There is a food grade and a mixing type for grains. 10 dollars for 80 lbs.

18. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I have bought the Top Flo salt at a feed store but it does contain something called "Yellow Prussiate of Soda" to prevent clumping. I was told by a certain Taxidermist, who you would all know if I said his name, that it is fine for taxidermy work. I was concerned that it might neutralize the pickle with "soda" in the name. Wasn't all that cheap at 8 bucks for a 50 pound bag. When the Tractor Supply opens near me soon, I'll probably find a better deal there.

19. Kristi

Kristi New Member

I get food grade flour salt from a feed store (ironic it comes from there and not a bakery supply).

It's so fine baby... you just put it in the water and after a few stirs, it's gone.

That other morton mixing salt from the feed store gave my arm cramps. It would never dissolve.

20. Kristi...when using Krowtann...the salt does not need to dissolve...one of the more finer points to tanning with krowtann, beside having to skip the whole pickling process..