1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what kind of salt do YOU like?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by cold trapper, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Reason why we don't use iodized:
    Iodized salt does not "pull" moisture as well from the hides that we salt dry. It makes sense to purchase non-iodized to allow the salt to work on raw hides better.

2. Amen david...just reinforces what i have been trying to tell people...thank you.

3. titus

titus New Member

My first bag from feed store had the black specs in it and now i'm having some hair slipage with that cape (could I re-tan?). Now I found some of the evaporated high grade salt, seems to work and dissolve much better but costs $10 per 50 lb. bag. I'm using Krowtann WT, why does it not matter if the salt dissolves?

4. Part of the process with krowtann is to use NON -IODIZED salt...it draws the moisture out of the hide/skin/cape to allow the tan to penetrate better...of course a good fleshing is also reccommended.

5. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I use Morton's fine mixing salt from the feed store, $4.50/50lbs. Sometimes it's just plain salt and sometimes it has the Yellow Prussiate of Soda in it, whichever she has in stock at the time. I don't care what they say about it's anti-clumping properties, I think it clumps worse with the YP of S, LOL, but it may just be the humidity at the time. I've also gotten some that had the black specks, never had a problem with that either.

6. titus

titus New Member

Becky, did you use the black spec salt in Krowtann or just to salt the hide?

7. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Titus, if I remember right, it was back when I Krowtanned everything, so it would have been in the Krowtann. I think the specks are just impurities.

Elk, I've also used iodized salt (to salt hides and in Krowtann) without any problems.

8. I use the Purex fine granular from AGWAY at 6.99 per 50# bag. Works nicely

9. RobinK

RobinK New Member

mixing salt from the feed store

10. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

the salt from my local feed store says it has calcium sulfate and yellow prusate of soda. i read the soda if ok but what abought the other to use with krowtann?

11. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I use the feed salt with yellow prussate of soda in KT. Works fine. The soda keeps it from clumping. Has not affected the outcome so far.