1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best degreasing method

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by staffs-skeletons, Feb 5, 2008.

1. staffs-skeletons

staffs-skeletons www.skeletonsUK.com

Hi guys.
    I am currently working on a dog skeleton. Its a large dog and I havnt got a huge colony of beetles so I decided to boil the large leg bones. Obviously they are quite greasy. What would you say is the best method. I have been using acetone, if this is okay how long should they be in. I have also been told that petrol works well for degreasing.
    Thanks guys ;D
  2. ammonia and dawn....a sumergable heater doesnt hurt.... I add 1/3----1/2 cup of dawn to a gallon of ammonia you can add some water to be more cost effective but if you look in the right places ammonia can be had for $1 per gallon....

3. candyman

candyman New Member

Id stay away from petrol ! I use water/dawn/ammonia mix - keep freshening the mix as it becomes cloudy/chunky (couple days) works good for me good luck
  4. staffs-skeletons

staffs-skeletons www.skeletonsUK.com

Cheers guys.
    Whats Dawn? Ive never heard of it?
  5. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Dawn Dishwashing Liquid Soap!
  6. Hey FiremanBrad
    Which of the several types of Dawn is the best??? I'm told the old, original blue dawn is better at degreasing than some of the more recent concoctions???
    Do you have a preference??
  7. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

do not get blue. It WILL turn your skulls a tint of blue. TRUST me!!

I use dawn with bleach alternative!!

Works great.....

and, staffs-skeleton....if you are using acetone, I think that will be the only last resort you should use!!
  8. chasintail

chasintail New Member

I've used blue dawn on all my skulls and never had a tint of blue. Perhaps your using too strong of a mixture?

RDMARTIN53 New Member

Yea Josh, I do blue too. Never had an issue. I prefer the blue because of the darker color making it easier to see cloudiness or grease.
  10. bulldog4949

I had one skull with a tint of blue. I am a betting man.....SOMETIME, you will have it happen.
  11. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 New Member

Could be the concentration used like chasintail stated. Don't think I would care for a blue tinted skull ;D
  12. bulldog4949

it adds character RD!! LMAO

We may be on to a new trend!!

Kind of like that stupid a$$ camo that ED does!! LOL

13. bonez

bonez New Member

Your skull just got spray painted orange hope you like it. do i here the Posse coming i cant talk right now i have to go stain antlers that i should have kept out of the peroxide in the first place ROTFLMAO
  14. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 New Member

blue skulls....orange skulls??? got any with feathers or little dingle balls hanging on em'?
  15. bulldog4949

lol...i hear what you are getting at!! LMAO