1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

washing a peacock??????????

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by DILLWEED, Feb 5, 2008.

1. DILLWEED

DILLWEED www.burkholderswildlifestudio.com

i am mounting my first peacock and wasn't sure if i should wash the whole tail or not.i guess i'm just a little worried it won't fluff back to normal again.any tips on washing them or any other advice concerning peacocks would be greatly appreciated.

2. Wayne D

Wayne D New Member

I do not wash them,if it looks ok now there would be no need.you could use a wet washcloth in spots if there are any chunks stuck to it.

3. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

Re: washing a peacock?????????? YES YOU SHOULD

HI, I AM A RETIRED MUSEUM TAXIDERMIST AND ALL BIRDS SHOULD BE WASHED....ITS NO TROUBLE TO WASH THEM IN DAWN WATER, WHICH WILL REMOVE THE GREASE LEFT IN THE SKIN AND CLEAN AND SHINE THE FEATHERS......ANYONE WHO DOESN'T WASH THEIR BIRDS IS LIVING IN CAVE MAN TAXIDERMY DAYS.......THE FEATHERS FLUFF RIGHT UP..SOME TUMBLE, SOME BLOW DRY......I BLOW DRY THE PEACOCKS AND ALL BIRDS.....LAST PEACOCK I MOUNTED TOOK ONLY 10 MIN. TO HAVE FLUFFED UP AND READY TO MOUNT.....

4. falco

falco Trapping is fun

If the tail is good and clean, no need,,, I have mounted three 6 feet long peacocks and I only washed the body and wings and the begining of the tail,, and the rest of the tail was sticking out of the bucket....
    If you have a long enough pale to soak the whole thing,, go for it if you like ;D,,, but if the tail is clean, you have just added a whole bunch of extra hours of labor for yourself.

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

There are a few birds that should NOT be washed, but peacocks aren't on that list. The long "tail" feathers are no problem at all. As long as they are rinsed well they will dry by themselves with little or no attention form you.
    Think about it: peacocks sometimes get wet. They also don't do much (if any) preening on their tails. All it takes is a little shake and those feathers will fluff up perfectly. Focus your main attention on the rest of the body and wing feathers.

6. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

I always wash peacocks but I rarely wash the tail beyond the base, if it's clean, why make more work.