1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Oil glands in a redfish?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Valdo, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Valdo

Valdo Member

Talking to a local guy who mounts saltwater redfish, he mentioned that a redfish can be easily skin mounted and last a long time if you simply remove the oil glands. Now, I've searched the archives and have found nothing on redfish oil glands. Where are they? How do you remove them? I know there are pros and cons on skin mounting a saltwater fish but I'm curious as to where the oil glands are in a redfish, maybe this is the key to mounting a long lasting, skin mounted, saltwater, redfish. I would appreciate your replies.

2. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

On a redfish, reguardless of size, I would most certainly cast the head. Not only will this speed up your drying time, but it will yeild a much longer longivity of your mount. As far as the body/fins, cast the fins if you'd like, but you wouldn't have to. Flesh out the body as normal, tan/degrease as normal, and there you go.

Cast heads is the way to go. Especially on those big reds! This is just my opinion. Others on here may strongly dissagree.

Hope this helped you out.

3. RAS

RAS Member

AL
    I have heard the pro's and con's also about skin mounting saltwater fish so thought I would try one myself. I have in progress a 30" redfish skin mount but I did use a cast head because from all my research that is where the problem's are, or at least most of them. it is drying now and I will paint it next week. so far it seems to be going together pretty good. (cast head is from Van Dykes's and is top quality)

Good Luck

4. Oil glands area myth, the fish is full of oil, replicating the ad is a must and if the fish ws over 5lbs I would do the finas and tail too.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Well, I skin mount a lot of redfish. The last was 38" long. If you choose to use the real head, take out everything. Someone not too long ago on here said when you are finished, then take out some more. This means gills, skull, everything you can dig out of there without tearing out the side of the head. Drop the fish head first into a bucket of denatured alcohol, and let soak overnight. Then, soak in a borax solution for a few hours and mount it. Place in as warm a place as you can and put a fan blowing into its mouth. Archie Phillips keeps redfish in his drying room for 5 days at 105 degrees F. This helps drive out the volatile fatty acids...hence dissapating much of the fish odor. Once dry, I like to hang them up in my shop for a month or two. Getting a full skin mount redfish not to smell lake a fish is the biggest challenge...but it can be done.

6. RAS

RAS Member

AL
    nice looking redfish joeym. the one I am doing now (my first) has no smell, which I am thankful for and I hope that means I have done things "sort of " right so far. does it really take them that long to dry? mine was mounted one week ago and I planned on painting it next week but may wait a bit longer now.

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The fish will be dry enough to paint within 24 hrs of putting a fan on it. My reason for allowing them to hang for so long is to give them every opportunity to not be smelly. Remember, mine are skin mounts with the real head. I do this for economic reasons. People will pay $350-400 for mounting a redfish. If I put more into the fish, I have to charge more. The number of people in my area who will put more than $400 into a fish seems to be limited.

8. RAS

RAS Member

AL
    ok, thanks; I didn't account for the fact that you using real head. I think I will try my next one with real head just so I can have the experience.

9. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Nice red Joeym. Would you mind posting a pic of a cleaned out head the next time you do one?

10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

BeckyP...you gonna make me stink up my new Sony Cyber-Shot...for my friends here, I'll do it. Should have one coming in pretty soon. I mount them and stripers pretty quick...they eat up a lot of freezer space. If the reds are still on ice, and were caught within the past 12 to 18 hours...they get priority treatment..meaning that as soon as the customer leaves, I skin them and we have grilled redfish for supper!!!

11. joe

joe Member

heres some reds i done. i do 50+ a year most over 40" allways the real head any ???? email me [email protected]

12. Valdo

Valdo Member

So I guess there are no oil glands on a redfish. Maybe the secret is to simply clean out the head completely and alloy for plenty of drying time. Could you guys post a picture of a cleaned out redfish head. I think it would really help.

13. Nope no oil glands, just cut out everything, all you want to leave is skin, that is skin. The whole fish is oily so you have to degreaseit once you ge all the meatooout.

14. RTPBearcat

RTPBearcat New Member

How is it possible to have a Redfish over 27"?

15. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

What do you mean? They get huge. I've done several 41-43 inchers myself. In Texas if they are over 28", they have to be tagged.

16. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The fish I posted a photo of was probably 36". The lady brought it to me in a 100 qt ice chest, and left the ice chest with me...said she was going shopping and would pick it up later. Well, I get the fish mounted and she wants to pick it up in mid-Dec. She ask me how she could wrap it and keep it a surprise for her son. Well, bright ole me pipes up and says..."I'll just put it in your ice chest, and you can wrap the entire thing." She was ecstatic, said she'd be by to pick it up. Well, I take the fish off the wall, and try to put it in the ice chest...that big SOB wouldn't fit in the chest any way I tried. The fish was limp, and the tail fin was turned up when I received it...mounted it just would not fit. Well, I had egg on my face when she showed up...she was happy about the fish "growing in size" when I mounted it. I think she just hid the fish and put it out on Christmas morning....jeesh, the stuff I get into with my big mouth!!!

17. RAS

RAS Member

AL
    ok, here is the finished product. Yes, I know, real poor picture; I am working on that too.

[​IMG]

18. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Very Nice. I like your colors...and the gloss is really good. What type of gloss did you use?

19. RAS

RAS Member

AL
    thanks,
    I used Krylon Triple Thick; applied 3 or 4. thin layers

20. RTPBearcat

RTPBearcat New Member

Becky P

I was only asking because in the 2 states I've caught Redfish in you can't keep them over 27". Must vary state by state for inland waters. Might have to take a trip to Texas.