1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finished training at Angler's Artistry

Discussion in 'Training' started by Nick2021, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Nick2021

Nick2021 Member

Just wanted to say that I took a week course with Rick Krane and I must say, it was probably the most comprehensive course I have ever taken in anything! (even classes not related to taxidermy) We mounted a Brown trout and a Repro Steelhead (Thanks Cecil and Dave C. for the products, they were really great!) and I have never seen anything so realistic in my life as far as fish taxidermy goes...and that's not an exaggeration! He has a wealth of information from anatomy, painting, and carving that will really change your perspective on a lot of things that you may have thought about fish taxidermy. I was talking to Rick on the way to the airport last night and he will post some pictures of the fish when he has the time. He has the better shots! Anyways, if anybody needs some info. about taking classes with Rick, just drop me a line. When Rick posts the pictures of the Brown Trout and Steelhead, you'll know why he's considered one of the best fish taxidermists in the nation. :D

Nick

2. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

WOW thank you Nick!!!

I'll tell you such kind word from an officer and a gentleman! Nick is a Lieutenant in the USAF and it was a real honer to have a vetran of the Armed forces with me this past week! Nick served proudly in Iraq and I ( we ) owe him and all the other men and woman a debt of gratitude for the job they volunteered for! Nick did very well, and here is a picture showing a bit of detail of his steelhead!

To the highest ranking student I have had the pleasure to have worked with!

Best of Luck Nick!

My Best!

Rick Krane
    Anglers Artistry

3. Debbie N

Debbie N New Member

MA.
    Nick that is a terrific fish. We have steelhead that look just like that here in our area. The color is so soft and natural it is really unbelievable! I want to know how long did it take you to paint this steelhead? We are thinking about sending our son to your teacher for leasons and now it really is a done deal. I want to know did you learn enough to be able to do this quality of work with out Mr. Krane's direction. We see lots of nice work and there are lots of people who teach but when you get home some times it is diffrent. I really think your work is really good and Mr. Krane does a great job teaching I just want to know what you think of your time and what you learned.

Debbie and Stan

4. Nick2021

Nick2021 Member

Debbie,
    Thanks for the compliment. From start to finish, including the prep work on the fiberglass blank, it took about 3-4 days...one reason why it took longer than usual was because I was working on a brown trout in conjunction with the repo. This took some time as I was learning to carve a body and how to mount a real fish. I used normal paint just like everybody else on the steelhead...it's how the paint is applied and interpreted that makes the fish come to life and look as good as it does. I got a lot of information about fish anatomy and reference...that's probably the most important thing Rick taught me. Even on reproductions it's very important. I'd say that I'm confident now in my ability to do a fish and am planning on doing another repo here very soon. I'll post pictures of it which will be a representation of how good Rick's teaching was. Overall I was very satisfied with what I got and am planning on going back next year to learn more about warm water fish..specifically, anatomical features, etc. He definitely won't sit next to your son and cuddle you and paint your fish...he takes a lot of pride in his student's work and will motivate your son to put in 110% in his fish mounts. However, he won't let your son mount a fish without having the information and basic foundations necessary to do an "outstanding" fish mount. As far as being able to do it without Rick's direction, I'm sure I will have to call him once or twice with a question as we're always learning new things in this industry. I don't think anybody can fully master taxidermy as we're always in a learning mode (at least I hope everybody is trying to learn something new). But I know I can mount a really good fish and paint a reproduction on my own, which I credit to Rick's teachings. If you're interested in sending your son to one of his workshops, I would definitely give him a call. His number is 1-603--336-7296. He can send you photos of all his student's work. Really nice guy to talk to...he is really involved in teaching and does a lot for our fish taxidermist's community. Also, keep checking sometime for my brown trout....he should post a photo of it sometime this week...it took longer to work on because of drying, fish body carving, etc, but the end result was spectacular...I don't know which one is better than the other lol Drop me a line as well if you want to see some photos of my workshop...think I have about 200+ photos lol I think your son will definitely love his time spent with Rick!

Best regards,
    Nick

5. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Thanks Nick for all the kind words! It sure helps and the out come is a far better success when folks are truly motivated! I know why you are in the cockpit of airplanes! Deb Please give a call and we can talk more about Stans training. I have taught folks at just about every level of learning and I have found one thing to be true and that is with good direction and lots of practice and realistic goals you can really get good and enjoy the fish work you will be able to do!

Look for Nicks Brown this week!

My Best!
    Rick Krane