1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

preserving with alcohol

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by oldterryr, Feb 8, 2008.

1. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i have several requests to show the deer i did awhile ago with straight alcohol and see how it is standing up - here he is

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Re: tanning with alcohol

Once again Ter you can,t tan with alcohol only preserved it so please stop lying here and get the facts straight. As for the looks of the deer weel enough said.

3. Re: tanning with alcohol

Terry,

The alcohol that you used....what was it? I hear a lot of people on here say "denatured" alcohol, but that could mean a lot of things. I have some 95% ethanol that is denatured with 5% methanol. I have used it on a couple hides, but never get the white skin that people talk about. Did you use methanol to pickle?

Thanks,

Richard

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Use DP it will be just as "tanned" as this method.

5. oldterryr

lying give me a break - just trying to answer the folks that had pm's me - -- take it or leave it - just trying to help out

6. Rush

Rush New Member

what is up with "white skin" are these hides being mounted inside out? I mean who cares what color the leather is?,From what Ive seen, every time I put oil on white leather it turns tanish or brown, when people talk about white leather are their hides not getting oiled?

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Terry, you're just a slow learner. Many of us are purists when it comes to truth in advertising. Any alcohol is never going to TAN anything. It evaporates and does nothing to the skin. As Bill said, you may as well use DP, at least there is a residual.

[email protected] Rush. Years ago I chrome tanned a deer. Of course, the leather was blue, but after I mounted it and finished it, no one ever suspected what color the leather was underneath. (Chrome tanning had it's own problems as many of you know. It drummed like hell.)

8. oldterryr

do none of you guys know how to read - i posted this in response to pm's i had received - i AM NO ADVOCATING using alcohol for large game although many on the forums use it for small game (mink, etc.) - as for the slow learned part i am afraid i have to fess up on that part - let this die - i would have never posted this is i knew how much grief i would take -

9. Re: tanning with alcohol

I think I use the terms interchangably...I know they are not... pickle/tan...I apologize in advance for my future screw ups.

Rush,

I really don't care what color the hide is either....unless you're making a rug type skin...I think that it looks a little nicer to have a smoother color on the hide. The ones I put in 95% ethanol turned out a nasty brown/yellow color...If I can achieve a nice bright white color...why not?

Still waiting to hear whether you are using ethanol or methanol too...just curious.

Thanks

10. George

Terry, we DID read, but it's more an issue of what we DIDN'T read that concerns many of us. You originally started this post some time back telling people you were going to "tan" with alcohol. We admonished you then that to lead beginners and newcomers on with such a harebrained statement was damaging to the intent of QUALITY taxidermy. It still is and the possibility that you're exchanging PM's with people who still believe in such hoakum is even more distressing. I get PM's about tanning with alcohol, denatured alcohol, glycerine, and that damned antifreeze on occasions. I use that issue to TEACH, EDUCATE, and to INSTRUCT individuals who think there may be a "cheaper", "faster", "better" way of doing things that they're buying into a "snake oil" theory that's a lie. I don't encourage them but now I see who actually IS. Many of us view that if you don't bother with explaining something completely and truthfully, then it simply equates to lying.

11. oldterryr

to all i have offended i am truly sorry

12. Re: tanning with alcohol

Well said George----If people spent half as much time working on something as they do trying to figure some magical way of doing it-- they would be done in half the time.

13. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

I was going to post an almost identical message as george did, but we have had computer "issues" for a couple hours. This art is easy enough to do wrong even with good information. I dont like seeing newbies starting off wrong from the beginning. I think its important to give some thought to what you are preaching. Remember its all Greek to them.

14. Re: tanning with alcohol

Terry,
    Just change the subject to "Preserving with Alcohol" so everybody can stop complaining.
    Travis

15. Rush

Rush New Member

Arkfisher: I just use alot of elbow grease, which is neutralized by asprine.

16. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

OK so he is wrong.......Why all the name calling....just correct the issue and leave it at that........that's the reason that allot of new people are afraid to post........they're scared of getting jumped on...........Tom

17. George

Name calling??? Where did I miss that? I didn't see anyone being called names, but if you'd like, I can hyperlink you to a few in the current events category where you can see what name calling looks like. And to ANYONE who's afraid to post here in fear of getting "snapped" at, I would reason that your desire for information isn't as great as your tender feelings. I get "snapped" at all the time and if you ask a stupid question you should be snapped at. But if you truly want help and some honest information specific to your situation, there's only one way to get it - ASK!. And ask on a public forum where issues can get fleshed out. When you ask one person, you usually get their OPINION and that might not always be the correct answer. This isn't rocket science, but it's not kindergarten tinkertoys either.

18. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

LOL .......Seems I hit a nerve there George...............

19. George

Tom, You didn't strike any nerve at all. Your response is typical of many who've only been here a short while. This site is notorious for "lurkers" but the "lurkers" never seem to complain. The regulars may gripe and moan and bite at each other on occasion, but they never complain. It's always a newbie who shows up and is so used to living in a politically correct world that they feel obligated to speak up for the "poor and downtrodden". We don't have any of those here. You're either a part of the discussion and give as you get, or you lurk.

20. Well said George!