1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Silicone vs Latex caulk

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Turkeyman04, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Turkeyman04

Turkeyman04 New Member

Ohio
    I want peoples incite on what you prefer and why silicone vs latex caulk?

2. Tom Parish

Tom Parish New Member

Latex, silicone and borax is not a good idea. Try mixing the two together, and see what happens.

3. grouseandwaterfowlpark

grouseandwaterfowlpark New Member

I mixed latex silicone caulk with borax nothing happed did I do it wrong?

4. Mixed red general motors sealant and blue permatex together one time doing valve covers on a truck....stuff started smoking and carrying on terrible!! same deal??

5. Paul C

Paul C New Member

Yep...you have all the makings of a bomb!
    Seriously guys, latex and silicone are used in bird taxidermy to control feather tracts and add fill where needed. In the jowls and cheeks of waterfowl, in the feather tracts of turkeys and in the flight webs of all flying birds.
    Silicone and latex both perform the same function however, silicone will tend to set up very quickly (within 10 minutes or so) and so is not usually recommended for beginners. Latex caulking--especially the cheap stuff from Walmart--is very good for beginners because it allows plenty of work time (days) and does a good job. If you happend to get it on the feathers DO NOT attempt to wash it off. Let it start to dry and in about an hour or so it will peel right off leaving little to no residue. You can't do that with silicone.
    Paul

6. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I prefer real over silicone, but silicone looks nice. Oh, you mean caulk, well, it would have to be walmart Mainstays!

7. Schmitty

Schmitty New Member

MN
    I have used both, and as other posters have stated the silicone sets up very fast with the borax and didn't seem to hold things the way I wanted to I have been using latex

8. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

lol...hey now ;)

for molding ive had the best luck with 100% silicone...laytex its just too weak, but i guess it would depend on what you are trying to do with it...

9. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

where did everone get on this caulking for birds kick?sounds kind of messy...if your skin is properlly fleshed,and your body is the correct size or smaller and wires are at proper anchor points and skin is kept moist during mounting,all you should need is a little cotton batting and some grooming to get all the feather tracts to lay right...

10. 5 watt

5 watt New Member

Im curious. What does silicone/latex mixed with borax do?
    Dont do birds, just wanted to know.

11. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

But you can ask 100 taxidermists how they do something and you will get 100 different answers...... ;D To me using caulk or silicone "strengthens" up a mount along with being used as a moveable filler. I use caulk in the tail along with a support wire to strengthen up where I have seen many others fail....aka tail falling off after a "good bump". I get a few mounts every year form other taxidermist's clients with the question "can you put the tail back on". I use silicone on turkeys (standing, strutting, and gobbling ) to anchor the wing and leg attachements to again add strength. I will warn that it doesn't adhere to the wire so I do not use it in the wings on flying turkey mounts, Caulk is used. Like others have pointed out silicone sets up in minutes but caulk dries in days and sometimes weeks especially in turkeys. Find what works best for you...

12. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

hey I like the tail setting thing might try that

13. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

If you use latex caulk, walmart mainstays, 1.00 per tube, when that bird dries, it is so tough, the legs wont move, the wings wont move, and you can grab the bird by the bill and it wont even hardly flex. Now, you can also do things with that bird as far as taxiing the skin when mounting, that you cannot do without the caulk. The face alone will give you results like no other.

14. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

caulking is the best thing since sliced bread. ;D :D love it cant get enough of it ;)

15. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

It also works wonders on pinned up birds by giving them something to "stick" to instead of falling out as you work...

If a bird has been "caulked" then dropped or banged around it will hold up....not that I have ever dropped a finished bird ;)

16. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

When the silicone and borax mix, the silicone sets up too quickly--it basically turns to hard rubber. I used it once, and never again. Try mixing it in a cup, and you'll see what happens.

17. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

It's all been hashed over before...

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,33115.0.html

18. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

The goodness of caulk doesn't just stop on bird use. I use it more and more for mammal work as well, sure it dries a lot slower than clay, but you can get it into a lot more places. Same goes for fixing a drummed ear with Master's Blend.

19. python12

python12 Member

I use the latex caulk for hide paste on shoulder mounts & small mammals
    but have never tried it yet on birds, but will give it a shot on the next birds I do..
    question tho??
    I wrap my own bodies, does the caulk work good on those too,
    doesnt seem like it would slide over the body easily,
    but it would lock the feathers in better..

20. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

caulk work's great with wrapped body's .i wrap mine and use caulk no problem's.. ;)