1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

price sheet /charges

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mark c, Feb 12, 2008.

1. My friends are starting to ask for a price sheet for birds and critters I told them i wont mount for free but still have no idea what to charge .. I would ask the taxi around here but dint think i would get a strait answer I do however plan on charging more than the folks around here any way any help would be excepted with a grain of salt my thoughts were for deer head 375.00 and full bobcat 450.00 hogs shoulder 550.00 to much $ ? thanks mark c

2. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

not enough

3. then where do i start? im in florida some base as to what i should charge ive been to the archives no help really dont want to get the exact price from anyone person just a base line. ive been looking for awhile to see what you have been chargeing and havent seen it or just plain missed it .. do i go triple key? on over all cost of good and supply add some houe rates or just flat rate pluss triple key ? mark c

4. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Depends on your quality of work Mark.........There are allot of prices out there......check the web sites in your area and compare the prices and go from there...............GL ......Tom

5. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

If you want to see what your local ccompetition charges, visit the other shops and get a price list from them. If they know that you are a taxidermist, have your friend or wife grab one or request them to mail one. Not all taxidermists have a printed price list, but most in my area do. I personally dont care what the others in my area charge. But it is nice to know if you are way off base on some animals.

6. laci

laci New Member

This is a touchy issue on this site. I know some wont like this but it worked for me. I have done taxidermy for a sole income for 13 years and recently we moved away from my home town where everyone knew us as taxidermists. We moved and had to get diffrent phone #s and all that good stuff. Well i thaught i could get up here and charge the same amount and just advertise a little bit and i would get the buisness. Well i was wrong. Their is 1 taxidermist in my home town now that has been here for years and he did all the taxidermy work for these people. So i had to advertise and drop my prices some just to get the people to give me a chance to do their work. Well it only too about a year and i have plenty of work. Some from here and some from the county i moved from. What im saying is in my opinion i would start out at about what you were thinking in your post on cats and deer. Do that just long enouph for people to get to know you and see what quality of work you do. Then if you start getting allot of work go up. You would always rather do 10 heads at $500 than 16 or 17 heads for the same amount. Thats what i did and it worked for me. I also have a commercial building in town and allot of work from my old customers but thats how i would do it.

7. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

NEVER! NEVER! NEVER! Give out a price sheet. It will eventually come back to haunt you. Print one up for your own reference, but never let it out of the shop. This was one of the things that I was told when I started up, but I didn't listen. Another lesson learned the "hard way".

Since you aren't planning on competing(undercutting) with the local guys, you're doing both yourself AND them a favor. Find out the local "going rate" and go AT LEAST 10% higher! Higher than that if need be. Make sure that your prices account for not only your cost of materials and overhead, all your hourly wages, AND a PROFIT!

8. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

OF is right. I don't have a public price sheet either.

Here is one thing you can do to find out what your competitors are charging. Have your wife/mother/aunt/sister/daughter call them. I did it myself, but I'm female. I just asked them how much they charged for X and wrote it down on a spreadsheet. No one asked me why I was asking. If they had, I would have told them the truth. I charge about the same for my things as my competitors, some are a little more, some a little less, depending on what I believe it is worth, including a profit.

By not having a public price sheet, it makes things MUCH easier when I need to raise my prices. And each mount is different. If I get an elk that has had it's throat cut (I'm educating them better now) or an antler that's been shot, it is going to cost more than a standard mount. JMHO on the topic.

9. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

I agree with pricing for your labor......but you have to take into consideration the quality you are providing.......If your work looks bad and you charge 450 bucks....hold your breath..........you probably wont get any work at all.Taxidermy is an art and you are selling your art....poor art goes for a poor price.............JMO......Tom

10. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

If you do put out a price sheet, make sure you put something like "Prices good only for 2008." I agree that you should start close to what others are charging then raise your rates when you get a buildup of customers. Nobody will pay more until you can show them you do more for that money.

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I put out my prices, and it is stated that the price is closed mouth etc. There is also a * next to lifesize, longhorn Bull shoulder mounts, etc. stating that the price vary's with size.

I have gotten a few heads this year just because one of my customers decided to put my pricelist up on the wall of a consolidated camphouse that is in use by several hunting leases.

BTW, I don't use my price list to show people how cheap I am either, there are 6 other Taxidermists in my town, 2 of them being full time & I am the most expensive.

Starting out IMO a pricelist is good to keep your consistency with prices to customers, just don't use it to show people you are the cheapest or that is the type of customer you will get.

Old Fart's way works also for him & a heck of alot of Taxidemist's, it just doesn't work for me and some others. I'm not even gonna say my way is right & his way is wrong because he is right & so am I. You have to find what is comfortable to you & you only when working with prices to customers.

12. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

What really helps too is good advertising.. You dont have to include pricing in your brochure.. Just take some good pictures of some of your mounts, arrange them nicely in a brochure, list the services you offer.. such as shoulder, lifesize, european etc.. set them around at guns stores, local resteraunts, etc.. This way people can see the quality and will call to check your price.. which is when you get to sell them on yourself. Never say well IM better than so in so because I do this. Even if the other guy is bad mouthing you. Always present a smile and invite them to stop in and view your work more closely or point them to your web site (if you have one). Decal your truck.. Make it known you are in town.. Eventually people will start filtering in.. Might not be a rush to your door, but it will come eventually.
    Im not sure what the pricing scale is down your way. Do like Lisa advised.. Call around or have your friends call around.. Check the websites too, some people list a price on them . It will give you an idea what is the going rate in your area.
    I post my price list on the fridge.. That way I always know what my base price is so when someone calls I can just glance at the firdge and say Yes I charge 525 for a standard deer shoulder mount if youd like a plaque or something extra we can work out a price for you based on what you desire :) Works for me and the customers seem happy with having options even if they dont get anything extra :)

13. Buisness 101

Stay away from the printed public price sheet. Reason being is once word gets around and it will, that you are charging x amount for a mount, and if your higher than other taxidermist you will never get a phone call. The whole idea about buisness is to get people interested. advertise your telephone number And when they call asking about a price don't blurt out a number, invite them into your shop to go over different mounts and options. Take your time describing the detail you put into your work but never bad mouth another taxidermist. Once you get people in the door they are 80% more likely to do buisness with you even if your price is a little higher.

14. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I wholeheartedly disagree with that. One reason people call is that they see somebody charging a higher rate & are confident enough to state that. It also keeps me off the phone with people looking for the cheapest mount. I don't want the guy looking for a $300 whitetail or $500 Bobcat or $100 european mount wasting my time by calling me.

It's funny how different people operate, but are still successful :)

15. I won't disagrre with Michael P. whatever he is doing is working for him. I do like his idea of keeping cheap peolpe off the phone. I still feel sure you could sell a cheapskate a high dollar mount if you can get him in the door. Now if your only a few dollars more than your competition then your turn around time will play a big effect in there decision but, if your 1/3 higher the price than the guy down the street your going to have to sell yourself. Tip ( be able to back it up though). Your only cutting your own throat if you charge more for a product than your neighbor and the quality is a step or two behind his. Now if your doing this just for fun and some extra christmas money, charge what you feel your work and time is worth. But in a buisness world if you over price your product you won't sell your product. Think about this and i will try the best i can to explain it. you are charging $500 for a deer mount your neighbor is charging $400 for a mount. Now unless his work is horrible (and a full time taxidermist shouldn't be) who do you think will get the work. Now this comes into play he is doing 3 heads a week you are going 2 just say both of your overheads are $900 dollars a week. You make $100 profit he makes $300 dollar profit. Guess what mckenzie just went up on there prices. now you have to raise your prices 1/3 higher than the neighbor to cover the cost and keep the same profit. do that for 10 years years and before long your price will have to be twice what his is. Who do you think will have the work then.

16. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

I'm with Michael P on this one. I print new brochures yearly. It has the year printed right on the front page. I also have on the brochure that the prices are subject to change without notice. Now if a customer brings in an animal to mount and they sign the contract, I am not going to raise the price in the middle of the project unless there are form modifications involved etc. which I' will notify the customer about, but I reserve the right to change my pricing on anything if the need arises prior to the signed contract. Mark C, do what you feel would work best for you. Brochures arent all that expensive and they are good advertisement. You can be as simple as a list of species w/ your price or you can go w/ full color and pics.

17. I personally want to thank every one on is this form for your wisdom and input on this subject I think ill follow a lot of very good advise and keep my trap shut in the mean time .. I am truly going to go into bussines with this advise and I do feel ill have a good product ,,,,, Ive been reading this form for 3 years and staying very quiet I have learned an enormous amount of things from you and I'm humbled by your responses thank you so much mark c

18. Best of luck

19. Follow Lisa's Advice, But you to keep in mind are you turning out work as good or better then they are.

20. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Thank you Casey...but honestly, there's folks who have been doing this a lot longer than I've even been alive...not to mention in business. All I know is what's working for me so far. I've picked up tips from this thread myself. I don't have a brochure! I'm thinking...HEY!! That's something I need to get going on! ;) Good luck Mark & all of us. :)