1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Coloring bondo for more life like ears

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by rkw38, Feb 12, 2008.

1. rkw38

rkw38 New Member

Hi all, my brother is relatively new to the business and is not great on computers so he asked me to ask you.
    Is there any way to color bondo to give deer ears a more life like color? Thank you in advance.
    Keith

2. Tim

Tim Olean,NY

ny
    After the skin dries you will still need to paint the inner ear,so i would say don't waste your time.

3. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

If your brother is bound & determined to color the Bondo, you can put acrylic paint in before you mix it. Adding anything that isn't designed to be used with the Bondo, does decrease the strength of the Bondo though. If for example, you're working on a white animal, and you don't want the regular red of the Bondo to show through, you can use the hardener for the...oh gad...what's it called? The super thin Bondo stuff we can add to Bondo to make it thinner? Has it's own hardener...dang I hate it when my CRS kicks in. Fiberglass? Arghhhhhh! Y'all help me out here...sheesh. Whatever it is, you can use the hardener for it, instead of the red cream hardener for regular Bondo.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LOL Lisa. Actually Tim gave him the best answer. If, however, he doesn't believe us, he should buy a color pack from WASCO that he can add, though if he's using the red accelerator, I can't imagine needed any more "color" than he already has.

5. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    You can get a white hardner for bondo then mix in some colorant of your choice....wont help you though for deer ears.

6. Lisa M

They make a color pack? I have white hardener for my Bondo. I can't imagine the trouble I'd get in if I could make molds etc with pretty colors. I just did a search of the WASCO site for a Bondo Color Pack and it comes back with "Your search - Bondo Color Pack - did not match any documents." Where is it? ;)

7. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

Try powder pigments or tempera paints Lisa.

8. Lisa M

Oh my gosh I am going to have ENTIRELY too much fun with those! COOL! I'm giggling to myself cause I know how cool that is going to be! Thank you!

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It's for coloring "Artificial Water". Works on Bondo as well.

10. frank

frank New Member

It doesn't matter what color the bondo is ,you will not be able to see it through the ear skin and cartilidge.

11. Artist oils work the best with bondo, alzeriam crimson is the best color and a 1/8th inch dot may be enough to do the trick. I have had some good results with this color but only using ear liners.

Despite what some claim you can make a super sstrong ear using bondo, mix 50% polyester resin and 50% bondo, then chop up fiberglass matt very fine.
    YOu do have to split all the way to the very edge of the ear.

The mix it to cure in about 15 minutes, us rubbing alcohol on the outside of the ear just poor it on for lubrication while forming the ear.

12. michaelf

michaelf New Member

I do my bondo ears as John C outlines only I will rub the ear down with carpenters glue prior to putting the bondo in. Makes a strong ear. Not as strong as a plastic liner but very strong and I've never seen one drum. Tried to color some before and tried colored Ear Magic but always ended up painting so I don't even try anymore. Waste of time. JMO.

13. rkw38

rkw38 New Member

Thank you to everyone who responded. I passed along your information to my brother and he was appreciative.