1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Floor Dry

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Gerry, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Gerry

Gerry New Member

Does anyone use floor dry to tumble birds? Are there any negatives to using it? Tried to search archives in the old forum but I had some technical difficulties. Thanks in advance.

2. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Use corn cob grit, if anything to tumble your birds. Of course, I soak mine in Coleman fuel first. On ducks, I just wring them out and dry with a hair dryer. On larger birds, I sift corn cob grit through the feathers and shake it off and repeat as many times as necessary until they are not sopping wet.

3. fesekula

fesekula Active Member

Gary, Floor dry has a lot of dust with it.

4. If floor dry is the same as floor sweep to keep the dust down as your sweeping then no it won't work as it contains oils in the sweep.

5. Muthagoose

Muthagoose You do your thing, I'll do mine.....

I spin'm in the washing machine to remove most of the water,centrifical works excellent with no damage or dust, even hit em with the hose as they go round to remove any residue.Then compress in a couple layers of towels this removes whats left.Leaves a soft skin to work with so I dont have to deal with shrinkage ,memory or flamables in the shop. I finish them off with a shop vac after the skins on the form and the replacement head and eye work is set .....
    Its kinda fun to watch the students at school freak as they watch thier delicate bird skin go for a spin....