1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Borax tanning

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by 3Maria3, Feb 13, 2008.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Cripple Creek, I know that some of you brain tan gurus think the sun rises and sets in that antiquated method, but PLEASE be mindful that this is a TAXIDERMY website where tanning is a subsidiary. Brain tan may be "fantastic" to folks like you, but I assure you, it's an intrinsic "fantastic" because of the creativity and perhaps self satisfaction. It is a total waste of energy for a taxidermists and the results are far inferior to what modern methods produce in a fraction of the time.

2. Maria I would invest a little money into krowtann and skin that beaver out and soak it in krowtann just to keep it good...krowtann is by far the easiest and best tanning formula out there...

Just be sure to completely flesh and degrease the beaver first

3. Cripple Creek Farm

Cripple Creek Farm New Member

George, I do agree that it does take some time and effort and is not suited to those who want to make money at it, but when you just have a small hide or a few that you want to process for lasting display purposes such as was discussed earlier in just wanting a hide for the table, this method produces a great hide. I by far am not a brain tan guru, thus me looking into this site and trying to learn more, but I have seen results from this and also from my store bought tanning kits and from salt and borax on my rooster neck/saddle hackle. We here at Cripple Creek like like using ALL parts of our "harvests" and like to hear about all of your different methods and various products to use. I hope to move soon into the full mounts.

4. George

Good luck. Just be careful. This industry tends to be terminal once contracted.

5. As a general rule I only use Borax for birds...it does make a great dry preservative for birds due to their fragile skin, but I always say when in doubt ...KROWTANN IT OUT!

6. George

LOL When I have a similar saying: "When in doubt, TAN it out."

7. .. dp just drys and preserves the skin.. it does nothing to change the melecular structure of the skin ........like a tan does