1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Human Bones

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Spysar, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Spysar

Spysar Member

Has anyone ever had to clean any human bones or skulls? In a forensic kind of way.....not a, used to love her kind of way..lol Just curious, I saw a show last night, about human bodies, and how they decompose, I think it was Discovery channel.

2. Skulls unlimited does that. I couldnt skin a human head.
    Travis

3. southernskullworks

southernskullworks New Member

I was approached by a govt agency that conducts forensic studies. I told them I was interested and for them to come up with a proposal. The price will have to be right before i fool with human remains!

4. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

I could do it. As long as it wasn't a baby & I didn't know the person. I love the forensic shows. Catching a bad guy, by studying the body/bones...that would give me a large charge. I've always wanted to see an autopsy. Back in college, there was a human anatomy class just before my Statistics one...sometimes they didn't get the old lady put back up before we came in. Bizarre to some to have a dead body laying on the desk. I was fascinated by it. Don't care if it makes me weird. I'd love to help mummify someone too. That would be cool. Maybe that's why taking care of the dead folks in nursing homes didn't bother me like it did some? It's just a body. Like an elk or deer or skunk or snake. Oh well.

5. darwin

darwin New Member

I agree with Lisa, it's just a skull, although it will be a bit strange at first. I have already two human skulls in my collection. I found one in a forest close to a graveyard across from my primary school when I was eight. Well, this was quite creepy. Few yeas later my father found one while working on a grave.
    It might be something different, if the guy observes you, when you are trying to cut something off of him. Starting with the eyes should solve the problem.

6. Lisa M

I don't think I could keep an actual human skull though Darwin. Work on one, sure. But finding one, it would feel like the persons spirit couldn't rest. I have ancestors that were Native American. (Nothing I can document...left the reservation generations before anyone even thought of getting a glint in their eye to make me.) But that respect, the...well...the mojo that a grave has...a final resting place...not something to be trifled with in my book. If I was dead & buried, and for some reason my grave was disturbed, then someone came along and picked up pieces of me...well...I'd get all sorts of grouchy about that. I'd take every chance I could to scare the whizbang out of folks. ;D

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Lisa...the Choctaws carried the bones of their ancestors wherever they moved. Many were devastated in the "Trail of Tears" since they were not allowed to carry the remains of their family with them from the southeast to Oklahoma. It totally pisses me off to see where someone has dug into a native American burial ground, yet it happens all the time here in the south by looters...just makes the small part of me that is Chickasaw blood boil with anger!

8. Lisa M

That's interesting Joey about the Choctaws. I didn't know that. I can see the symbolism though. Now that would be a job...preparing the bones...flesh removal etc. I bet the tribal Medicine Man or Elders were responsible for that honor? I'm gonna go research that. It's intrigued me. Thank you Joey. God bless the internet. ;)

9. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I doubt its even legal to possess a "found" skull like that. I have, however, found native american remains that get plowed up in farm fields now and then, while surface hunting for artifacts. I talked to a N.A. friend who lives on the res, he said that if its whole skulls, Indian nations would like them to give a proper reburial, but just parts, just to treat them with respect.

10. Spysar

Spysar Member

The show I saw last night showed them taking bodies that were donated to science, and just putting them out in the woods and seeing what happened. Some were wrapped in plastic, some in clothes, some with nothing. I wish I remember the name of the place. Did anyone see the show? There was a girl in charge of the whole thing. I think they said something like 100 bodies a year were researched. I was looking for the dermestids, saw a lot of maggots.

11. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

Bill that is what I was thinking!!!

12. bonez

bonez Member

PA
    Joey I couldn't agree more. Joey if you can find it Turner home entertainment put out a series called the Native Americans it is a 6 tape set truly eye opening

13. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Bill, I have no problem with surface finds in plowed fields...I have thousands of artifacts that I have picked up in my lifetime. But there are still some very sacred sites that are out of the public's eye. These are prime targets for "pot hunters", and artifact sellers. I know where there are a lot of small mounds in wooded areas. Modern logging practices reveals these, and they are destroyed quickly by unscrupulous individuals looking to make a quick buck.

14. Lisa M

It's called a Body Farm Spysar. I didn't see the specific show you're talking about because I was busy last night, but I've seen others...and it's fascinating. I'm totally liking looking up the Choctaw's Joey. I can't find much, but I did find a cool looking knife with a white tail leg bone for a handle. It's awesome looking. Makes me want to try my hand at flint knapping.

I hadn't thought about the legalities of owning human bones Bill. Good point. I'd only thought about the respect angle. Physically, mentally, I could do the work because I know I would be trying to help them. I just couldn't keep the parts. Who is that serial killer...Ed Gein?? That kind of thing...fascinating to think about...but unspeakably horrible too. Or the stories in books about settlers skinning folks and putting that skin on the canvas of their covered wagon to dry? That'd make me whoop some ones effing *ss.

15. darwin

darwin New Member

Who says that the spirit is in the skull, possibly it's in the toes.
    However, I have never seen the spirit of a Native American in German Forests.

16. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Darwin, if that was addressed to me, its the law that I meant, not the soul, lol. Joey, I hate to say it, but Id LOVE to dig a mound, with permission, as I see it less as sacred, and more as lets salvage it so all can see, rather then have it broken into smitherines...ahhh, to find a complete banner or popeyed birdstone...!!! Hey that show was cool, the forensics, I always liked that too. How a body decomposes, first maggots break down the flesh, later as it dries, other insects, and how they can tell if the body was disturbed by blood levels and spots, cool stuff. The guy who started that smelly yard has died, I believe.

17. I have seen the show that you're talking about. It was awhile ago that I seen it, though.

I personally think that, as Lisa said, I'd be able to deal with cleaning human bones, too. I really don't think I'd have any in my personal collection, however. But, to help out by cleaning it, or mummifying (spelled right?), I could learn to live with that. I had always wanted a job at a funeral home, just don't have the opportunity in this small town. We don't even have a graveyard that's near by (closest one is about a 45 minute drive) that would even consider hiring anyone. So while I might never have the opportunity to work with or around dead humans, I could do it. I just have to get the first one down, then I could switch my mindset to deal with it all the time.

18. Weird subject, I still at the age of 29 get really nervous around a dead person to the point I threw up. So this isn't a show for me. But here is a few videos on that place. I've been by it as I was delivering meat in Knoxville Tn. Really funny that its right in the middle of homes/businesses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2NLef0qIQY&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSDCiOW81mk

19. Everyone is different, Casey. :) I'm only going to be 21 this year, and I'm pretty alright with almost any situation (as long as it doesn't have to do with loud *and* unexpected noises, otherwise, i love to go shooting and such. i think as long as i'm making the noise, i'm alright with it, haha). It could be how some of us were raised, or simply how our minds work. My boyfriend often feels embarrassed for getting queasy over my dead animal projects, while I can go through all the steps as if it's just a normal, every day ordeal in everyone's lives. I'd actually prefer to get scared easier, and be more sensitive, but it just isn't happening.

Thanks for supplying those YouTube links. :) I'm going to use my phone to watch them (the 3 year old phone works better than my some-months old computer, how bad is that?).

20. darwin

darwin New Member

Bill, it was not, but in Germany as well as in the USA exists no law that prohibits the ownership or trade with human bones. Those from archaeological sources or your Native Americans are exceptions.