1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Preserving a skin mount fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by rdaniel, Feb 18, 2008.

1. FISH

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. TANNING

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Does anyone know of any house hold products that I can use to preserve a skin mount fish, it a perch
    Any info will be appreciated
    Thanks,
    Robert

2. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

A half cup of 20 Mule Team Borax in 1/2 gallon of water will preserve a perch for just about forever..eh? The same concentration will do the job on much bigger fish as well.

3. Thanks, I wasn`t sure if that would work or not, I have plenty of that at home.
    Robert

4. JohnBOhio

JohnBOhio New Member

a small batch for a fish that size would be about( i dont do small batches so im guessing)
    1/2 cup borax.
    1/4 cup salt.
    1 cap full lysol.
    1 gal. hot water.
    dry mix, then get water as hot as you can and mix in. let stand over night to cool and mix again.

if you skinned and fleshed the fish the right way you can soak in over night and let drip dry, then mount. due to the salt it can draw water from the air when drying so make sure you have good air flow(no heat just good air flow). i have had fish in this mix for 2 months and then pull out and mount just like new. good luck.

5. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

So, if I have a fish to skin (6.6lbs LMBass) but am not ready to mount yet,can I just put the skin in the solution for a week or 2 or would it be better to refreeze the skin and put in solution when I am ready to mount?

6. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I don't see any difference between leaving the skin in a borax solution for a week or two compared to re-freezing it. If it was me I'd leave the skin in the borax solution.

7. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

I would question this method. If there is salt, it needs a rinse in clean water, or you will have problems.

PB

And what is the purpose of the poll?

8. JohnBOhio

JohnBOhio New Member

1). i dint like refreezing anything. once i thaw it out, skin and flesh it. it goes into the soak.
    2). yes, you can leave the fish in for 2-3 weeks till ready to go. i have had them in this soak for up to 2 months.
    3). yes, you are right. you do need to get the salt back off the skin by washing. i pull the fish out and run them under cold water being sure to get into the skull, tail and eye areas. i then place the fish that is to be mounted in a pail of cold water and get my tools out and have a cup of coffee. i repeat this between fish, clean up tools and clean my table, coffee, fish.

I'm sorry i left this part out and thanks for pointing it out to me.
    John