1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Water based thinners

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Perca, Feb 19, 2008.

1. JasonMoe

JasonMoe New Member

Is'nt the point of using water based paint, that its non-flammable, non-lliver damage and so forth? Thinning with DA, ISP, and acetone. Why not just use laquer based paints to begin with?. I have had the same problems with thinning out water based paint during scale tipping. It seems like the surface tension puddles up and its hard to lay it down. Whats a good thinner thats non-toxic. What is createx's retarder made out of? Anyone know?

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Well, water is non-toxic! And I believe Rubbing Alcohol is much safer than Denatured Alcohol. Whatever you use, you are STILL using MUCH less than what's in lacquer based paints. Regardless, NOTHING you spray into the air can be good for your lungs, so if you're concerned you should also be using a respirator with W.B. paints as well. Along with a exhaust fan.

Yes, what you have described about the W.B. paints not drying is one thing that you need to be careful with when using W.B. paints. Each have their pluses and minuses. My suggestion would be (when tipping) that you either lesson the amount of liquid or put it on thinner or thicker (powders) depending on the application...

3. den007

den007 Active Member

Never tried anything but rubbing alcohol.......makes you feel good all over! I mean about your paint job of course.