1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Bison (unfinished) - please critique

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 1stturkey, Feb 19, 2008.

1. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

I would appreciate input on this first Bison. I know I made some mistakes but it wasn't until I viewed the pic that I could see the asymmetry in the nose. I'm hoping once the finish work is done it will be less noticable (at the very least to the customer). It's been drying for over 2 weeks now in a heated shop & with this dry winter air I think it should be ready to paint? I have already done some epoxie work on the nose.

Thanks very much.

2. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

I'll try to add a couple more pics here

3. ed150

ed150 deer city time

not bad,man those are some big looking horns

4. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

they are big good for you for even attempting the beast. I know several taxidermists that wont do them.

5. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Thanks. The horns are repros...smallest I could find. The bison was actually only a yearling with MUCH smaller horns but I got them wet (thinking I'd remove by soaking as I've done with Antelope horns) and they started to flake badly. They were in water for one night before I learned that was a big no-no. Needless to say that's coming out of my pocket. Expensive lesson learned.

6. buckstop

buckstop New Member

excellent job!

7. Homs

Homs Member

Is that a shouldermount, looks like a neck mount, also the eyes are too slanted and the ears, were they turned? Bondo or earliners ? they look thick from what I can see,. The nostrils were cut wrong as you said, and the horns are way too big for the head. But for your first not a bad job, I will be mounting a bull I shot in december on a bow hunt which weighed over 2000 lbs in a few weeks, after I mount it Ill try and post some pictures ....

8. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Thanks, Horns.

It's a shoulder mount but since it was a smal bull (700-800 lbs) it looks like a neck mount. That's also why the horns look too big for it - they are (even tho they are the smallest Vandykes had). But I didn't have much choice since I ruined the real horns. Guess I should have found some smaller real replacements on E-bay but from what I saw there they were not in very good shape either.

I used earliners and Epo-grip & still have some drumming. Not sure why as the liners seemed small enough. Maybe I didn't dry the ear skin enough? It was my first time using epo-grip, maybe I didn't use enough?

9. A-1

A-1 New Member

I did my first one in July, green tan with original horns. I learned the same bought lessons that you did. Horns flake when hydrolyzing to remove the caps. I used smooth out to repair the flakes in order to use the real horns. I also wish that I had done a conventional tan in lieu of the dry preservative. It ended up with some drumming in the brisket. I had to shade the brisket area with some black color using an air brush when it dried. In retrospect, I would use the artificial horns, conventional tan and bid the job high enough to compensate for the extra cost.

I think yours will look pretty good when you get it detailed.

10. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Thanks, A-1. I'm glad I sent it to a tannery. I think it's the best way to go, especially with Bison. Once I do the finish work I will take some better pics & post them.

Thanks to all for taking a look. This site is a fantastic source of taxidermy knowledge. I pick up something new every time I check the forums.

11. hidvalltax

hidvalltax Dont travel faster than your guardian angel can go

The horns are to straight up, dont match to the head pose, if you look at reference pics u will see that then tend to tip a little

12. They are a big animal for sure. Not to bad for your first. Keep up the good work.

13. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

the camera angle may not show it but I thought I angled the horns appropriatley fwd. When I post more pics I'll try to get a better side view. It might also be their being too long deemphasizes the angle making them look to be pointed up even more so. Or, yes, they may actually be angled up too much. :-\

14. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

The horns are to straight up, dont match to the head pose, if you look at reference pics u will see that then tend to tip a little.

I just and took good long look at them & you are right, Hidvalltax. They should be fwd a few more degrees. Thanks.