1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Why is it?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Bobbi Meyer, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

I like to check out other taxidermists work and granted I'm not Jan Van Hoesen, but why is it that you can look at their gameheads until the cows come home, and think WOW, they do really good work.
    But then you look at the lifesize...ESPECIALLY bobcats and that just blows the whole thing? ???
    Yes, I do think they require a little more work to "pull it all together" but some people calling themselves "Master Taxidermists" when their bobcats look like crap? I'm talking a good 1/4" or more epoxy showing around the WHOLE eye and bright fire engine red noses?
    Sorry, but I'd never call myself a master taxidermist if my work looked like that...just venting :mad:

2. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

I saw a bobcat that...oh the ears...they were bat wings...wide open...could tell they were the work of a beginner...sad thing is, they were mine. :( :) My first bobcat. I loved that thing to pieces. Then my teacher walked by and asked me where my reference pictures were. I showed him. He asked me to look at the ears. He didn't say they were crap...but man...even I could see how weird looking they were. I did a respectable job on the eyes, nose body, etc, and I did a great job on the habitat. Gave it to my Dad...he thinks it's great and hasn't noticed the bat wings. I'm not going to point them out. And I did much better my next go round. Thank goodness!

And Ms. Bobbi...vent away sunshine. ;)

3. Bobbi Meyer

I guess what gripes me is that the person has supposedly won awards and has been doing taxidermy for XX years, etc..etc..
    I'm not an expert on the rest of the things he has mounted and from what I can tell, they look pretty good....it's just the bobcats..but then alot of people I guess have trouble with making them look real...I just wouldn't call it a "master" job by any means.
    I figure that all mounted bobcats should look like wa's ..so in that case I've set the bar too high for myself too ! :)

4. Lisa M

Well, yes that is a blinking red nose. Rudolph would be proud. :) Sometimes folks have been doing things so long, they don't keep up with what's been improved upon, and they don't see their own mistakes anymore? I don't know. I met one old guy that said he never uses reference pictures any more. I was happy for him that he was that confident...but honestly, his mule deer ears, sucked. The bases were too small, and too low on the neck, IMO anyway. I thought about telling him so, but he'd have thought I was being impertinant. Oh well.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You tell 'em Bobbi. That's been one of my pet peeves for ages. "Master" taxidermist!!! In a pigs eye. There ain't but ONE of those and He makes the originals. I know a few "master taxidermists" who won top prizes back when there were only 2 or 3 entries in the entire show.

6. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

i see that all the time too you are so right Miss Meyer

7. J. Ivy

J. Ivy New Member

I hate to say this but 8 out of 10 bobcat mounts that are posted on here look like crap to me, I see plenty of them on the trap line every year and they just dont look anything like the mounts that I see.

8. I have a master in my area .but only in his eyes. ::)

9. Bobbi Meyer

here's a picture of my FIRST cat. I really studied the Jan tape, but didn't watch the eyes enough when it dried, so they are not shaped correctly. I also should have taxied the skin on the face forward more to put the tufts where they should have been.

10. jcompton

jcompton “One of these days Alice. Pow!Right in the kisser"

What I dont understand is how pleased some of the customers are with these jacked up cats, eyes crossed, club feet,bat ears and the customer says, wow man they do awesome work, just check out this bobcat I had mounted this year.

11. Lisa M

Bobbi, we're sometimes harder on our own work than we should be. You did a good job on that cat...not even considering that it was your first. The nose is spot on...and while I see what you mean about the eyes, they aren't bad at all. All in all, a very respectable mount.

12. Bobbi Meyer

Thanks Lisa.
    I really had fun matching the color of the nose...
    I took the cat when it first came in and kept mixing paint and keeping track of how many drops of this color or that color I added and painted each one on a piece of poster board till I got a color that matched the cats nose.
    Then after I mounted the cat, I just repeated exactly what I had done when he was "fresh"

13. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I used to raise bobcats. My pen was actually conected to my shop so I could see them all day, everyday. I am a pretty fair taxidermist in my ABHO (anything but humble opinion) but I am the first to say I can not duplicate a bobcat, nor have I ever seen a mounted cat that satisfied me. Yes there are goods ones and I can mount a better than average one, but nothing that could fool anybody. And honestly, I can't tell you why. They just suck when compared to the real thing. I believe bobcats and leopards are the two hardest to mount animals in the world.

14. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

What about black panthers, Ron?

15. Ron B

Alabama
    Perry, all my black panther mounts always end up looking just like black coyotes when I am done.

16. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Maybe I need too send you some reference pics? ;)

17. You seein' those around again?

I'm a Master

18. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

No, only the one 11 years ago. What are you doing off the bird forum anyway? Thats like me posting on the fish forum. :D

19. Your time will come soon. I'm going to check for that big foot site in May. I'll get some reference pics.

20. Ron B

Alabama
    Perry, if you will just "share" your beer instead of hogging it all you wouldn't see so many strange animals!!!!