1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hangers on plaques

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Budders, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Budders

Budders New Member

Iowa
    Hey everyone, just curious about what hangers you use on the back of plaques. I have a customer that wants an oak plaque behind his deer and I'm not sure what hanger to use.

2. bigrubs07

bigrubs07 October 26,2007 148 gross P/Y points, 230lbs FD

i would use a big key -hole bit on your roter, if you have one. That would keep your plaques form sticking out from the wall.

3. Mason

Mason Active Member

We use the noose hangers on everything we can. The only ones that dont get them. Are the ones to small to accomadate them.

Mason

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I would never juryrig a hanger. Those drilled hole POS just don't cut it for professionalism. The noose is a good hanger, but I don't use them because unless they're perfectly placed, you mount can swivel and turn. I use the heavier sawtooth variety of hangers. Tazzymoto is marketing a great one here on the site someplace (look him up). These hangers, like the ones used in fine artwork, usually give you about 2 inches of leeway to level your mount properly. They come in all sizes to work on mounts from Eland and bison to roedeer and fawns.

5. Mason

Mason Active Member

I agree George. You have to get the noose hangers close to center (of the balance point).We just feel they are a very safe bet on the wall.

Mason

6. George

And the Noose does allow the mount to be flush to the wall. It's just that I detest having to use the Braille method of hanging a mount on the wall. Sometimes that gap's not always bad.

7. Mason

Mason Active Member

OMG,

The SWEARING that goes on here due to that :eek:
    Gotta get Linda to control that a little bit ::). ( J/K if you read this dear)
    But yeah I like how close they hang as well. Hey George, Did McKenzie offer a metal hanger with there forms ? Say 5,or 6 years ago? I have 4 here that was mounted on mcKenzies with metal hangers. Cant find any like them anywhere for sale. I like them . For not having to worry about them. The man that mounted those is retired and moved away. Cant ask him .

Mason

8. JohnBOhio

JohnBOhio New Member

i offer to my customers choice of 2 types of hangers ,
    1). either the noose or level-rite. or
    2). the stand off hanger system.

either way, center is not always the balance point. i have a 1x1 board that i will lay out on a table and then place the mount with backboard on it, find the balance point and mark it. that is where i place the hanger.

larger mount or mounts that have a way off balance point i have used the 2pc. T hanger and it has worked well. But they cost almost $8.00 each.

9. lookn4awhitetail

lookn4awhitetail "I shoot a Mathews, cause I dont wanna Hoyt them"

Yeah and try finding the noose hole on an antelope......... Talk about some cussing.

But those are what I use. I got some of tazzys I am gonna try next week.

10. Mason

Mason Active Member

We've used the Bowen Head hanging system hangers before as well. It makes a nice look, not trimming the hair on the back . It doesn't squish the hair, or change the patterns. But the original ? was for plaques. Those would look a bit odd for that application.

Mason

11. George

McKenzie did, at one time, offer the Level Rite hangers with their manikins. I understand that cost them extra money, but it had to be no more expensive that those POS plastic things they imbed into the wood in the long run. I wish they'd have continued with the Level Rites.

12. Tazzymoto helping hand hangers work great

13. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

Here is the link to Steves hangers. They cost .80 each or $9.00 per dozen. www.backwoodstaxidermy.net/PRODUCTS.HTM