1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Well I got my big rock done

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by jeremy, Feb 22, 2008.

1. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

30.00 of silicone later, 2 days of waiting per coat, and 15.00 worth of bondo and fg resin. Yes I could have bought it cheaper but hey part of the fun was seeing if it would work and know I have a mold for the next one.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. J. Ivy

J. Ivy New Member

So how was working with that big of a mold ? was it still fairly flexable with the silicone being that thick ?

3. jeremy

Actually it was still flexable enough to work with pretty well, Ive found that using the straight silicone will give it better strength then if you mix the paint in it.

4. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

looks good Jeremy! I guess you didn´t make the mold to thick, since you haven´t mixed the silicone? how thick actually? and did you use a mothermold?

5. Looks great... but i use latex 74, alot cheaper lol... and you can reuse it many times over to

6. jeremy

Rich not familiar with it, what is it? A RTV? I will be able to reuse this mold many many times>

Taxos the mold is about 3/4"-1" thick with 3 coats of silicone with about 2 days to dry in between. No mother mold on it as it was stable enough to hold its shape for the bondo to roll inside but flexable enough to peel off of it.

7. hidvalltax

hidvalltax Dont travel faster than your guardian angel can go

van dykes carries it and not atv called latex 74

8. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

That came out real nice. Good job.

9. j_scott

j_scott New Member

jeremy you did that cast the same as you did your artifical heads just used more silicone and no paint mixed with it right? i have done the heads they came out great ty, for that tip BTW.

10. Jeremy i can make that same rock apox 8" x8" is that what it is? for about 11.00 what i did was about the same .... go to archives and type in molding rocks or making rocks..follow the script takes me about 1 1/2 hour s to finished rock i dont go as far as that guy dose but my molds are 18" x 24" and im going to go bigger!!! amount of material 15.00 for that size my rocks have extream detail also ....if you want give me a call weekend 813 417-7922 ill walk you though it takes about 5 min. im also thinking about full body mount on smaller critters also mark c