1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Drying time

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by DevinCamPA, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Hey guys...well my mount has dried a lot in a week. Seems to me it cant get much dryer. How exactly do you tell if its rock hard? Somewith with the ear canal i read? I want to paint the nose this weekend

2. i give everything a solid 2 weeks before finish work but the humidity is really high here. Yes the inside of the ear will tell you when is dry, it will be hard and not whitish tint anymore

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Thats your call, not ours. How can we tell if your mount is ready to paint or not? There is no set time to let dry, everyone has their own ideas on this one, it all depends on how and where you are drying it. If you think it is dry to the touch, knock your self out.

4. mr t..why you gotta be a grump in every reply. I ask questions for a reason...just wanna do it right. thanks rooster

5. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

Yah Mr T. ya grump. LOL! Even though you are rite, chill out.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

;D It's just a forum, don't cry or wet your pant's over it.

7. trust me bud...i realize that im a member of many forums, just help out, dont gotta be a smart azz thanks for the answers worthwhile

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

5 days is enough to do the eyes and nose pad and septum, however, other spots may still be drying and need more time. Leather can go out the door in 5 to 7 days or less. Raw DP skin will take longer, it all depends on a plethora of conditions.

9. nibjones

There's the old avatar, that one's been put away awhile.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

YOu know what they say Jones,,,,,,,,,, some days you feel like a nut, some days you don't. This isn't church were you have to be nice to everyone. ;D

11. nibjones

I hear ya! I sure am happy about that. If I wore my feelings on my sleeve I sure wouldn't hang around here.

12. JasonMoe

JasonMoe New Member

when u think its dry, give it 5 more days.. then check it over..its something my grandpa told me years ago. "Before you make a decision, sleep on it, then you'll know the answer." he's always been right. So give it 5 days and or so and decide.

13. thanks mr t...i'm gonna end up waiting another week.