1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish eye poll.

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Slick, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Both eyes.

84 vote(s)
    82.4%
  2. Just show side.

18 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Slick

Slick Something smells fishy?

Please give your reasons for what you do.

I put both in because I think it looks better when the head is away from the wall.Plus my customers like it too.

2. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

My customers always look at the front of the fish and the back of the fish. From the front angle they can see both eyes. IMO, I believe it speaks well for the quality of your mount. I, of late, have also been epoxying the back seam and then using a scale roller to at least simulate some work done on the back of the fish. They appear to appreciate that also. I paint it to a simulation of the fish but don't put quite as much work as I do on the show side.

3. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I've done both. Still undecided with which way to go. :-\

4. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

As a rule, show side only. There are exceptions though. Does a painter (flat artist) do any work to the wall side of the canvas? My theory is, spend time on the show side, you know that side people will actually view. I'
    ll post a picture of the "wall side" of the steelhead that was posted on TWFP's friday.

5. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I've always used both eyes but in an attempt to cut costs I am seriously considering using only one...eh? At $4.00-$5.00 for a set of eyes I can save at least $500.00 bucks a year by using just one. Another way of putting it is...Is it that important to have the wallside eye in the fish that I am willing to give up $500.00+ a year to do it? I'm beginning to think the answer is NO.

6. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

We always use two, and have since 1996. Much of our work is wholesale and the taxidermists we work for demand it.
    As far as having to do it.....it looks nice but most customers do not flatten there heads against the wall everyday to see if there are two eyes ::)

7. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

LMAO @ AAron! "it looks nice but most customers do not flatten there heads against the wall everyday to see if there are two eyes." Right you are!

8. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I normally only set one and agree with a few others in that you're better off depending that time on the side that matters. Doug, not only the cost, but your time needs to be factored in too. Occasionally, depending on specie and/or a particular customer, I may set a backside eye. BUT, that customer doesn't get the extra time spent putting the finer details in their fish. They don't know the difference anyway. This is one of those tiopics that gets beat to death and the real answer is do what's important to YOU. IF you feel that your customers want that extra eye, then do it!!

9. Studio106

Studio106 New Member

I used to do the one eye commercial mount, but for the last five years I have been putting both in and finishing the backside with a scale roller and paint it to be close to the showside as Bill does. But keep in mind that I get paid to go the extra mile. From the feedback I have recieved it seems to be worth it. And if you are offering a little more mount for the same or a little more money than your competition, you will get the business 9 out of 10 times.
    I understand your dilema Perca, but the way I see it is if you get two more Muskies per year because they chose you over your competition because you go that extra mile and put in the second eye, then you will have hopefully made up that $500 difference in the cost of eyes. Just my opinion.

10. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

Aaron,
    I agree that most customers do not look behind their fish after they have put them on their walls. I was referring to when you first give them the product, they turn it around 360 degrees and look at the front and back. It is not near as critical when the fish is mounted on a plaque, but when it is placed on a piece of driftwood that is vertical to the fish it can be more of an issue. I know in my basement where my mounts are located, that most that come to look at my fish try to look at it from all angles. I also can easily understand the economics of one verses two. I don't do enough fish at this point to have that yet be an issue. Hopefully someday I will.

11. Studio106

Studio106 New Member

FishArt-How can you justify not doing the same quality on a mount because you put an eye on the backside? How much time does it take you to set and epoxy one eye? And to say that the customer won't know the difference is to me unacceptable work ethics. I put in the same quality and detail wether I will be putting an extra hour or I am able to do it quicker than I expected. I charge the same amount per inch for a walleye as I do for a crappie, yet I know that the crappie will problably take me a little longer because it's a more delicate fish. I put out the best possible mount regardless of how much time it will take. I don't cut corners or justify that someone won't get the same amount of detail in the fish because the customer wants the backside eye put in too. The customer may not be able to put their finger on why the walleye they just got back from you doesn't look as good as they thought it should, but as my wife says," I don't know how to mount a fish, but I can tell the difference between a good mount and a bad one." And the next time they get a fish mounted, it may be by your competition down the road.

12. Slick

Slick Something smells fishy?

If it is what the customer wants it is what they get. I only put one eye in on the first couple fish I did and one of the first things that was asked from family and friends was; Where is the other eye? So I decided right then that I would put both in from now on.

13. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

These are general policies here;

I voted one eye as I assumed we are speaking of wall mounted fish

For a wall mount in a pose that is a mild s or mild curve where the backside of the head isn't readily visible I give one eye--i do have the eye shape casted in my head and paint the back dark so when viewing it looks like their is an eye installed just painted dark. If the pose is such that the head is more visible than I do put a backside eye and paint what is visible but of course I charge extra for the work involved. Occassionally I get requests to put both eyes in and am happy to oblige but when they see the finished fish they are ok with just one eye.

obviously on 2 sided fish the client gets both.

14. FishArt

Studio 106, calm down big-time - lol! I do exactly the same as Gary does on a wall mount.

To answer your questions, it takes me about 10 minutes to set each eye and sculpt in the sclera. Plus the extra $3 bucks it costs for the eye that the wall is seeing. When you quickly sculpt in the eye with epoxy and paint dark, you have to look really close to tell it's not an eye. IF a customer asks for a backside eye at drop off time, i do it. But as I said, I'll make up that 10-15 minutes elsewhere. "Unacceptable work ethic", since when are you my MOM??? LOL! You're kidding yourself if you think a lot of little things that some put into each of their mounts matter to most customers. We're our own worst critics (well, some of us are). I have a minimum amount that covers my butt on Crappies and smaller fish that take me more time. If you're not getting compensated for your time on these species, you need to take a business course because you're practicing poor business and you'll eventually go out of business by doing so. Unless of course you're a part-timer and don't have to make a living from your fish work. My wife can tell the difference between a poorly mounted fish and a good one. BUT, she can't tell the difference between a well mounted fish and a very well mounted fish. Believe me, even avid fisher-folks don't know fish as much as most of us do. How many times have you had a customer complain about the little white spot on the gill of a smallie? All of them have it, maybe a shade of gray, but it's there. When I "cut corners" it may mean the difference of hand-tipping some scales in the upper back of a largemouth, or using the finger rub method to make up that 15 minutes. The end result (differences) are SO minor that I have NEVER had a complaint in 12 years of doing business. Now, there's a link to my website where you can look at my work - solid commercial work IMO, nothing stellar. Now, where's some pics of YOUR work so at least I have some idea what I'm dealing with here??? You DO have a digital camera eh???

15. den007

den007 Active Member

I must say, the majority of customers take a peek behind the fish as I have it displayed for them. Not sure what they expect to find.....perhaps tings they have seen on trash mounts like duct tape, slabs of cracking Bondo, whatever.

16. JohnBOhio

JohnBOhio New Member

up till a couple years ago i only used 1 eye. the year i changed to 2 was due to a few customers had come in to the shop and said "$#@!#$%$#" taxidermy only uses 1 eye and it looks funny, i wont take anything back to that cheap #$&^$kin guy. the only thing they had to complain about was only using 1 eye. anyway from that point i started using 2.

17. FishArt

Yeah John, I get that all the time. I'm sure Gary does too - lol! That's too funny!!!

18. Ron K

Ron K New Member

I started out using two eyes and heard acustomer say, Yup it,s got both eyes , Allright! And since then i.ve never changed. Besides, to me it,s just a neat hobby. Ron K.

19. roostinridge

roostinridge Active Member

Fish needs two eyes to be complete

20. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

So roost, does a fish also need both pec fins to be complete?