1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish eye poll.

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Slick, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Both eyes.

84 vote(s)
    82.4%
  2. Just show side.

18 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Slick

Slick Something smells fishy?

Never thought this thread would go this far. It is catching up to This Week in Fish Pictures views.

2. Terry

Terry De-lighted to be living in Alaska!

Going for 8 huh? ;D

Kerby: I was aware of the KS connection... I want to say I saw a photo of you with an "about the author" blurb with a story you wrote in which you had on a KC Chiefs hat... I could be wrong about that. And I've noticed many times the KSU connection by your avatar. My best friend is a "bleeds purple" type. I'm a Fort Hays grad myself (Go Tigers!). I still have a house in KS, though I don't make it back as often as I would like.

Marty: A nice joke (backside)... thanks for the laugh. :D

Bill: I have met Randy a couple of times. I did know Byron, before his errors in judgement took him elsewhere. Opinions about Byron are pretty black and white. I can only judge him on how he treated me and he treated me very well. Do I have a studio here? LOL Sure, if you consider my 7 x 7 foot entryway a studio. I know I jokingly call it that. I really only started advertising last year (took in around 20 fish). I am hoping for more this year. I would welcome you to stop by for a cup of coffee or maybe lunch when you hit town. Just down past the "Welcome to Dillingham" about a hundred yards is a sign that advertises the Catholic Church. I live right across the road from it (perhaps a quarter mile from the airport). Feel free to stop by when you hit town.

3. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

It's slowing down but sure was fun to watch. :)

4. Harum

Harum Active Member

Well I guess I'll weigh in here.
    It's good to see the passion that people have for their way of doing things.
    When I paint a wall mount I purposely try not to get any paint on the wall side of the fish. I will create a hard edge just after cresting the center line on the top and back edge on the bottom. I do this so my client can see the night and day difference between painted and not painted. Once the fish is mounted to the wall and you view it from the side you can without difficulty see the back. My wall mounted fish are meant to be viewed from the front. I haven't had any complaints or questions about my quality. In fact they enjoy seeing the difference. I use all fins but only one eye. When I finish my epoxy work I always have some extra and will create a small ball and place it in the back side eye pocket. When it dries I draw a pupil with a sharpie pen. For me it has nothing to do with the cost.
    A one eyed Elk... I guess if I was to mount the back end only. ;)
    -Pete

5. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

Terry, i think i know right where your at. If time permits maybe we can say hello when we come through. Bill

6. Pete I am with you as well. I actually make a sharper edge and get a wow factor from customers, and they actually seem to appreciate the Paint job more.
    I have yet to have any complaints.
    Some fish get both but those are normally the oddball saltwater fish with Buggy eyes.
    If a customer wants to pay for both sides they will get a two sided fish.
    That said it isnt an Issue of being cheap, I make my own eyes and I spend ALOT! of time on my eyes, so I would Loses money doing the back eye.

7. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

OK Rick, we are well in the 8th page. Can we hit a record?
    Marc,
    The catalog has only 67 pages. The front cover sports a black bear and says save up to 40%. As far as the eyes go, they have "natural eyes", U2, U2C and general use eyes. Prices good through 09-30-08.

8. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Here's a better shot of ole one eye trutta

[​IMG]

Just trying to do my part to get to double digits

9. Terry

Paul- That's an awesome close up... thanks for sharing it.

Pete- I am very glad you weighed in... what an interesting approach. I don't think I could get myself to do that with a client fish but it gets me to thinking about a display fish to show potential clients... it's really cool to hear the thoughts and solutions of others.

Bill- Anytime! And here's a photo of my "studio". LOL :D

10. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

hmm, never thought about that. That's a different approach.
    I do so few fish I usually use the backside for a little airbrush practice, LOL.

11. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

SoTerry, I see you paint your freezer also. I thought I was the only one!LOL

12. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

We use to call it the "money line". Pete, does your line run directly down the dorsal center? And onto the the head as well?

Seeing how they were posted, the backs of Terry's fish are easy to look at, Paul's on the other hand are difficult. I've been doing this for a while, and I have never heard any grumblings or sarcastic remarks about taxidermists using two eyes or making the back side presentable. It seems sooo old school, but hey this is such a melting pot of ideas and differences, it's all good.

13. You know what Pete.
    I wonder if it is a left over from our Art background?

What i hear customers say are things along the line of. "Wow, i cant believe you can make plastic look alive!" I think most of my customers are more impressed when they see it stop. It gives them a something from nothing feel.

My wife used to drill a hole in all of her bronze sculptures and place a small marble inside then weld it shut, this way it would rattle and it was proof it was hollow.
    for similar reasons. Who knows?

14. Terry

Monty,

The freezer, a spare piece of wood, the back of my hand, the neighborhood kids... whatever's handy at the moment. LOL :D Actually my hand and the freezer bear the bulk of the abuse. Sadly, sometimes my hand is more nicely spotted than the fish I'm painting.

15. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I know that feeling, LOL. Wonder why that is.

16. Thanks Brian, I just got the catalogue today.
    Paul, as everyone on here knows...I don't blow smoke but, your work is awesome, and since a little seems to be comming out though, I will say, I've seen Josh's eyes and they are fantastic. Probably never make any profit on them but fantastic none the less.
    My take on the back side left undone is as Josh says...it gives the client a perspective on just what it took TO produce the quality they see on the show side. To each his/her own though. Jeff, your work is of the highest quality too but, why hassle Paul about the back side of his fish? Your not his client anyway.
    That's funny Terry. I too paint everything insight, My thumb nail is used as a pallet when scale detailing. I test the airbrush on the walls, desk, painting rack, clothes and the tank on my compressor as well.

17. Just don't test the airbrush on the stool!

I actually have 2 pairs of pants I wear when I work. On the right front thigh I stitched on two strips of velcro.
    I have several rags that have Velcro attached. I just stick them on flat right on my thigh and it saves my pants. I just wipe my brush off on the Rag or sprits it with the airbrush.
    I got the Idea from an airplane ride with a buddy of mine. He is a pilot and straps his notepad to his thigh. He can still right on it and doesn't need to hold it even when he is upside down. lol

18. bigrubs07

bigrubs07 October 26,2007 148 gross P/Y points, 230lbs FD

I put both eyes in, because seems there is always the nosey people that have to look on the back side and then critique your work!!!

19. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Marc if you go back a few pages on the post you will see that we "are just playing a game we never got to finish, play for blood, remember?" "Oh I was just foolin about" " I wasn't" "and now it's legal" "OK lunger, let's do it"

PB

20. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

I'm not hassling Paul Ive seen unfinished back sides before and there are quite a few quality persons who also don't finish them. What do you think Mark comparing the two different pictures of mounts in this discussion???