1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish eye poll.

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Slick, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Both eyes.

84 vote(s)
    82.4%
  2. Just show side.

18 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Jeff, while I might be good at marketing what I can produce, my quality isn't near what you and Paul are producing so, I'm not going to comment on what I can see or cannot see on the back of a fish mount.
    I've just never had a customer say a thing about the back sides.( and mine ARE ugly) I HAVE had plenty of taxidermists come through my booth in the days I did sportshows though. They look back there, roll their eyes and split. That's how I knew they were taxidermists...LOL!
    Sorry about the misunderstanding. Thought you guys were about to draw your weapons or something!

2. Harum

Harum Active Member

Jeff,
    "The money line" I like that. I stop just over the dorsal center but I transition over further on the head and around the front. On the bottom I go just beyond the upward turn of the body. I paint the bottom of the backside fins but not the top. I like the harsh transition. I want to also clarify that you can see the back of my fish from the side but you will need to stand against the wall. I know I have a picture of the back of a Chum or Silver. I'll try to find it.
    Josh,
    I agree with the Art background. In school I studied trompe l 'oeil (a French term for fool the eye) and one piece I made was a 15' x 8' close up of Tiger eyes but the real idea behind the painting was the note that appeared to be taped to the painting. I watched quite a few people in the gallery go right for the note and try to open it. It was enjoyable to see the reaction when they realized that it was painted. I suppose that is part of the reason why I go for that reaction in my client.
    Becky,
    I think that's an excellent idea for you to use the back side for practice. Research and development is a significant part of what I do. You may not get paid for it but in time your work will only benefit from it.
    -Pete

3. den007

den007 Active Member

Oh boy, this is hilarious.....got to keep it going. Okay, so if you don't use 2 eyes, how in the hell am I gonna get rich off selling a right and a left eye! LOLOL

I will cast Buck's vote in absentia........2 EYES!!!

4. I started taxidermy about a year ago with my nephew in my hotel room in Houston Tx. One of my welders had a taxi. shop years ago in Miss. and showed us how to skin, flesh and mount a largemouth.About 10 days later the fish was dry enought to set the eyes but he told us to just set the show side and we did. We mounted 4 more LM and a 26" red with one eye.Jay my nephew told me they did'nt look right with one so we put two and we both agree it looks more real and alive.I live in south Tx. and Jay lives in Alabama and if we are not working we are mounting something.I would like to take a moment to thank the members who share their knowledge with us who do this as a hobby.

5. J. Sonner

J. Sonner New Member

Man, I thought we had buried this one deep enough.

6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Yeah really, somebody type something inappropriate so this thread gets nuked!!!

7. Ron K

Ron K New Member

That,s it!!!! The "EYES" have it. Ron K.