1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I am looking for someone to complete a 14.75" Brook Trout ASAP

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Utility, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Utility

Utility New Member

Today I had a guy bring me a 14.75 inch Brook Trout that he wants completed with driftwood. The fish has been frozen for less than a year and the customer says it was the most unique brookie he every caught. I would like a price from anyone interested that can provide an exceptional mount with good turn around time. I am not looking for the cheapest quote, just good work and good name. Please email me at [email protected] with your requirements. Thanks Brian

2. featherhead

featherhead Member

Sent you an e-mail and some pics.

3. newbirdman

newbirdman Active Member

I cant understand why people like you accept work from customers when you dont know how to do this type of mount . If you dont mount fish then dont take them in . Why didnt you just tell him to go somewhere else ? Now you have to hope who ever you send this to does a good job or this customer will bad mouth you to friends since he already said its most unique brookie he every caught. I think your going to have a problem with this guy if its not perfect . Rick

4. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

The reason for not turning them away is simple. Why would you want to turn away a potential customer for something you do mount. All you have to do is research and let the customer know that you will send it out and that you take full responsibility for the finished products condition.

5. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

If everyone did that , I wouldn't have a job.

There are good fish wholesalers out there Rick ::).

Check the web and supplier directory on this site Utility.

6. Utility

Utility New Member

Thanks guys. I found someone. I will do my homework on anyone I chose. I have just as much at risk when I send a prize cape to the tannery, never know but I do understand that things can go wrong.

7. Utility

Utility New Member

Come on newbirdman. I can take in this job, track someone down and pay $140 to have it back in a couple months, and pass on a $220 bill. I am licensed and smart enough to make money. If it was lost I will make it right.
    Last year a local processor had a monster WT inside his shop with freezer wrap paper wrapped all around the body of the deer and antlers that said "CAPE OUT". someone brought in a doe and seen the rack, grabbed a meat saw hanging on the nail and the rest is history. What do you do? What do you do if your place is broke into? What do you do for a fire? Come on NEWBIRDMAN

8. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

theres nothing wrong with farming out work. theres been times when ive been overloaded with birds and sent them out to a reputable wholesaler. my prices are set so that i can do that and still make a sizeable profit. I f you send someone down the road cause you dont do birds or fish or whatever, the guy the customer goes to is gonna get the gravy work as well.

9. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

$140.00 for an exceptional mount? I would love to see it.

Paul B

10. Slick

Slick Something smells fishy?

Pescado, $145 is what I would charge him. I know you have seen my work on here.

11. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I would do it for that much, and he'd have it back in 10 days.

12. Slick

Slick Something smells fishy?

10 Days????? how can it be dry in that short of time.I can see a warmwater fish being dry but a trout?

13. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Don't get him started Slick

14. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

Well a Brook trout will dry in about two to three days it is a thin skin fish artificial head no problem what I would question is how is the paint job.

15. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

having it done in ten days is giving me 8 1/2 days to think about it starting it.

16. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

10 bucks an inch? That's wholesale right? Man, I'm just getting started but that doesn't seem like much cash in the pocket for the work to me.