1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Prairie chicken air sacs & eye combs

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by mn_jimmer, Feb 27, 2008.

1. mn_jimmer

mn_jimmer New Member

I am going to attempt my first prairie chicken mount this weekend. I plan on doing it in a dancing pose. I found some past "wing tips" on both subjects in the archives that should be helpful. I still have 2 questions that some of you could answer. I assume that I should remove the original air sac before mounting, is this correct? Also what colors should I mix to get the correct colors for both the air sacs and eye combs.

2. wingman

wingman Active Member

On BOOMING chickens You can do it 2 ways remove the real airsac and attach the artificial ones to your necking before mounting or install carved foam sacs over the real neck skin and finish them later, On Greater chickens I would pre-attach the painted sacs and remove the real skin on the neck. Just paint them according to your reference Heres a pic of some repro sacs, Good Luck!

3. grouseandwaterfowlpark

grouseandwaterfowlpark New Member

Here are a couple of close up of breeder males
    Snyders grouse and waterfowl park
    Dan and silene Snyder
    web site http://snydersgrousepark.com/ you have to type it to top line of computer screen
    it should some what done in about a week
    best Regards Dan and Silene Snyder

4. mn_jimmer

mn_jimmer New Member

Thanks for the replys and reference pictures. Wingman, I was hoping you would see the post. I skinned and fleshed the bird last night. The skinning went well, but I burned a lot of holes while wheeling. They are not as tough as pheasants! Will try to put him together this weekend.