1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

fleshing lips?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by bamaboy, Feb 28, 2008.

1. bamaboy

bamaboy New Member

i was wondering if any of you could help me figure out a quicker way to flesh the lips once they are turn, right know i just use a pair of scissors and take my time but there has to be a quicker way. i tried attaching a wire brush to my dremel but it kept catching the hide, any suggestions, Thanks

2. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Use a #22 scalpel. Take your time with it.

3. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

ON the fleshing machine if you have one, if not keep using scissors, youll get faster at it.

4. I use the wire wheel on my bench grinder. Hold all the fur behind you hand, and only have the turned lip on your pointer finger. With real light pressure flesh your lip. I would suggest finding a spot on the fur and experiment first. I do the whole face on the wheel.

5. rlbrown

rlbrown Member

skiff knife and a pool cue ball works great for me also for thinning around eyes

6. bamaboy-----when you split your lips teach yourself to leave all the meat on the hide not the lip skin. Saves removing it from the lip skin which is harder to do than from the hide. It takes a few capes to teach yourself but well worth it in the end.

7. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i am with dawg - thats how i do it