1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Interested in casting a shoulder mount deer...Any advice or suggestions???

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by NICKYG, Nov 16, 2006.

1. NICKYG

NICKYG "IS IT ALIVE, OR WAS IT MOUNTED BY GLORIOSO?"

I have been wanting to create my very own "whitetail deer form" from scratch, but I have no idea what is all involed or where to even start...I am not a sculptor, but I think it would be cool to cast a nice buck, and make a mould that you can call all your own!! Should I buy a video first such as "Jan Van Housen carcass casting"?? I would appreciate any help...Thanks

2. Hasnain

Hasnain Member

If u have the carcass "Jan Van Housen carcass casting" video can be helpful but it does not tell how to make muscular details. I do it this way: skin the head and make a mold of the skinned head and cast it with foam. Take measurements of neck after every one or two inches, make an armature, wrap the armature with burlap and plaster, attach the head Test fit the skin, if it is close to skin make muscular details with oil based clay. Make a mold either with plaster or resin.

3. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Freeze it in the position you want, Make a plaster mold in as many parts as you need, Pack the mold with 2 inch layer of oil based clay ( no release needed) pour 2 part foam to fill the mold. You now have a rough clay covered foam filled form. Refine til you get the desired finished product, Mold that in fibre glass & you have a mold to pour mannikens in. Takes a ridiculous amount of time, you wont save $ on forms, but go for it if you must.

4. NICKYG

Thanks Bill!!!

I am not looking to save money on forms, or just kill time, I just thought that it would be cool to have a form I can "call my own!!"

Thanks, Nick

5. bill@hogheaven

Actually Nick you will get a great deal of satisfaction from this project. I didnt detail this process as completely as I could have. When you have your carcass, dont skin it. Shave it , barber shears & a succession of sharp scalpels will do the job. I have never had much luck with hair removal products. We have some Boar forms for Russian/european that we have done this way. Get ALL the reference & MEASUREMENTS you can.

6. NICKYG

THANKS, BILL!!! :D

7. Roadkill

Roadkill Jackalopes are Real !!!!!!!!!!!!

Nikii,
    A carcus cast is a great Idea, but then you are just molding a dead critter. If you really want a creation that is yours, then sculpting is the only way.
    You should try and study the animals facial muscles and sculpt them as they are when the animal is alive. There is a big differance between the apperance of facial muscles in a dead critter and an alive one.
    YOu can make a carcus cast to get the basic shape and then sculpt from there to create that one of a kind look.
    Anyway, it is a lot of work, but when you are done, it is cool to have your own form.

8. Dan Bond

Dan Bond Member

Bill I saw one of your forms you made at the NY show (I believe that was you) my wife is the photographer at the show. I used some of your molding advice it worked good. By the way why havnt you had a company pick up your form line they were nice.

9. bill@hogheaven

Dan...thanks for the compliment , they do look good on the real europeans. That was my son Rob you talked to. His boar on that form was the highest scoring gamehead in the di. of excellance.
    As far as getting a line of forms its a matter of so much to do & so little time

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Nicky, why not try the old way first. Cut out a backboard. Take a 2x4 and set it sort of where the spinal column would fit. Then cut it at where the shoulder should be. Take a second 2x4 the length of the neck. Either slot the 2x4 to fit together and bolt them or take furring strips to form a bracket allowing the "neck" to move up and down.

Boil a deer skull out completely. Wire the bottom jaw to the skull and then bolt it atop the "neck" of your 2x4's. Now take excelsior and start forming big "cigars" wrapped with string. Make your shoulder and your brisket. Wire them in place and staple them down. Then make "cigars" to form the neck and tie them around the 2x4s until you get a rough neck structure. Mix Plaster of Paris rather thick and then cover your excelsor form as best you can. Do several coats until you have a solid matt of excelsior and plaster formed. Next comes the clay work. Build the "flesh" around the skull and over the plaster on the neck Form details as you'd like. Mount your deer.

To make your own mould, you'll need to do similar work but instead of potter's clay, you're going to need oil clay. Take playing cards and make "mold dams" in the clay. Fiberglass resin and chop are painted on and fortified until you can bolt the segments together. Remove them, bolt them together after painting with a release agent, then mix your foam and pour. When you unbolt the segments, you should have a manikin like youve wanted.

11. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Damn George, how could you forget the paper or lead flashing earliners,the wax for the eyes and nose and all the cussing to get it right?? Merry Christmas you old goat.

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LMAO JL, I figure if he tries it, he'll be able to invent some words of his own before he gets there. Merry Christmas to you as well.

13. Roadkill

Roadkill Jackalopes are Real !!!!!!!!!!!!

I really enjoyed the lat two posts about the Led flashign and then Georges reply. Nothing like learnign something old school to appreciate the new ways.

14. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

Hey George , excelsior , 2x4 boiled deer skull , and plaster , man are we getting that old !!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!

Merry Chrismas to all