1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what kind of salt?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by utman, Mar 1, 2008.

1. utman

utman 18# Lake Trout Flaming Gorge 8/08

I bought a movie on mounting a mule deer. At the beginning they say to soak the cape with half hot half cold water and some kind of salt. I couldn't understand what he said in the movie. Do i just use table salt? I'll be using a tanned cape if that makes and difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Utman

2. ladyarcher726

ladyarcher726 2012: 1st & best of category

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php?action=search2

search button my friend...

3. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Either go to the grocery store and buy you about 4 (1lb, 10oz) boxes of non-iodized (plain) salt or go to the feed store and get a bag of white mixing salt.

4. zachhanel

zachhanel New Member

you can just use any salt and if you have a feed store that really would be the cheapest as its only like 5 bucks for fifty pounds and you can actually soap and wash a tanned hide if you want to get alot of the dirt out, but i wouldn't buy table salt just because its more expensive and if you're just looking for a little bit alot of grocery stores have pickling salt in 4 pound boxes for a buck

5. utman

utman 18# Lake Trout Flaming Gorge 8/08

Thanks alot I appreciate all the responses. Thanks for helping a new guy, with my stupid questions.

Thanks, utman