1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Trouble with a coyote

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by humphreyjm, Mar 2, 2008.

1. humphreyjm

humphreyjm New Member

CT
    I've got an big old female coyote which I trapped earlier this year. She had a lot of fat and gristle (?) on her. I scraped off all the fat esay enough with my sheffield knife, but the tougher white tissue below is much more difficult to remove. I put the pelt in an acid/brine bath (pH 1) for 4 days, and then started scraping again to try to remove the tough white tissue. I scraped and scraped an area and ended up putting some cuts in the hide and scraping through to the hair roots in other areas. I just couldn't get the stuff off without ruining the hide. I decided to go ahead last night with the tan (Lutan).

Is this normal? Should I just not worry about the white tissue... Is this the stuff that needs to be shaved after tanning? Am I using the wrong tool or method? Thanks.

2. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

sounds like membrande to me - not near as critical (imho)

3. Picture of the area would be worth a thousand words here, If it happened like you say you may have been trying to thin with your fleshing knife. You should only have to remove the fat, meat and membrane, after the pickle you can shave the hide down and out it back in the pickle,

This is just how I do them and I have no probems

Rob

4. humphreyjm

humphreyjm New Member

CT
    I'll post a photo of it. Thanks for the replies.