1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

late season hunting

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by take em, Mar 4, 2008.

1. take em

take em New Member

just wanted to share a pic from one of our late season hunts.you all should get a kick out of the name of my boat!
    feel free to share some of your bird hunting pics. I enjoy seeing the different type of bag limits out there

2. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Well-Known Member

do you want to gift a nice drake pintail?

3. DILLWEED

DILLWEED www.burkholderswildlifestudio.com

looks like someone had a ball,congrats

4. take em

take em New Member

AFTHUNT
    would love to gift one, but did not keep any from this season for mounting freezes were way to full.
    I'll keep you in mind next year

5. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Now see, thats just plain wrong. You should keep each and every Sprig in good plumage even if you need to get another freezer!!!!!!!That from a guy who has hunted 30 plus years and has yet to kill one!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

6. take em

take em New Member

we have alot of pintails here specially late season, but can only shoot one per day per person, just have to let the other 200 land in the decoys!lol

7. AFTHUNT

T

8. AFTHUNT

THAT WOULD BE GREAT. up here if we get lucky enough to get one it has lots of pins.

9. j_scott

j_scott New Member

we have thousands here as well and can only shoot 1 per hunter shame the season is over and i dont have any in freezer either sorry

10. daniel

daniel New Member

should read wing mans recent tip on freezer space plus the birds will last forever in water the best daniel ;)

11. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

nice bag o birds!

nice rig...where you from take em'?

12. dam i dont think i have ever seen a pintail in the wild lol they are around here but they are like hunting gold would love to get one of them some day

13. kar6man

kar6man New Member

looks like a great hunt! wish we could kill that many mallards here. we can only kill 1 hen/drake per day here. we had one hunt this year where our first 2 birds were drake pintail. we were having flocks of 500 buzz us and we'd have to pickout the 1 wigeon in the group for another hour until we got limits. here's a pick of some of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. lol god that must me nice the only spots i had this year were on the river and i thik the best day i had we killed two buffleheads lol

15. EastonWest

EastonWest What we do in North Dakota, STAYS here.

Here's a pic of a mid-fall hunt me and a couple of buddies went on. I ended up getting a mallard, wigeon, and two gadwalls while my buddies ended up with a couple teal, a wigeon,a shovelor, and a ringneck duck which he's getting mounted. As we were walking back to the pickup through a stubble field we jumped a covey of partridge and one of my friends was able to drop one of them. In north dakota we have a limit of five ducks (not including mergansers and coots). We can't shoot more than two wood ducks in a day and we can either shoot one hen mallard OR one canvasback OR one pintail per day. In addition to your limit of 5 ducks we can also get a limit of 5 mergansers and 15 coots.

16. kar6man

kar6man New Member

wow EastonWest, those restrictions are terrible! i dont know what i would do if it was like that
    in california this is what it is:

-7 ducks per day
    - up to 2 hen mallards
    - 1 pintail either sex
    - 2 canvasbacks (as of this year)
    - 2 redheads
    - 3 scaup

as for geese, that's different almost everywhere you go but its a bag limit up to 6 everywhere.

17. zachhanel

zachhanel New Member

easton, here in minnesota its about the same except we can shoot six ducks and we can also only get one suzy, but i was wondering how many people actually eat coot, i could shoot hundreds but i've tried them and they tasted like mud and were smaller than my littlest teal

18. wildwings

wildwings New Member

I suppose I could share a few MN birds with ya. Not as nice as those southern birds but oh well
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. EastonWest

EastonWest What we do in North Dakota, STAYS here.

Wow, wildwings. I really need to get out more this fall. ;D

I shoot a couple coots every year to use as coon bait on my trapline. coons can smell fresh coot meat a mile away and they come running with their tongues hanging on the ground. ;D I've never even tried to eat them because I figured that since they are always swimming with teal and shovelors that the'd probably taste the same as them. (like what they swim in). JMO. Thanks. EB

20. j_scott

j_scott New Member

depends on how you cook them (coots) are actually pretty good eating lol, yep i am a cajun, moved to south texas and they don't shoot them here so they are easy pickins, the ducks look like where you are Easton all day long all winter long here and man it doesnt take long to limit out here, we are the same 5- ducks and same limits as well, seems like we have so many of certain breeds they would allow us to shoot more of that breed but they don't