1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My first mount...Let me know what you think

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by boandlady, Mar 5, 2008.

1. This was my first time doing any type of taxidermy. I just finished him on Sunday. Let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DILLWEED

DILLWEED www.burkholderswildlifestudio.com

looks good from what i can see. try to post some larger pictures

3. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

need closer photos to see every thing better. looks good from a far.

4. GregJ

GregJ Active Member

Very nice first deer. I think the earbutts might be too far back and maybe a little small. But I've only done one so take my comments in that context. With closer photos you might get more helpful comments.

5. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

I'm not buying the "my first time doing any type of taxidermy" statement. Maybe it's you first time getting enough courage to post something, but not the first time with any type of taxidermy! I'm not saying the deer is perfect, by any stretch. You had some experienced help with you (hands on) as you did it, if it is your first.

6. Please let me know what you see wrong, so that I can improve it on my next one. I plan to start one within the next week, so any critism would be helpful.

7. Doylestudio

Doylestudio Active Member

Elkins, I agree 100%

Mike

8. elkevo

elkevo Tailgate Bucks

Deer head mounts always look so darn good on old barb or shed wood. To bad we didn't have inside walls like old barn wood and they would look great that way I think.

Steve

9. Roger E

Roger E Member

MT
    Your first? Better than most beginning mounts, for sure, a nice intro into taxidermy, in that case.

10. Jake of cousins outdoors

Jake of cousins outdoors Shoot like you're hungry!

I am with you Elkins but hey if it is your first great start keep at it. Hell of alot better than my first, hell it is better than my first 10 lmao.

11. No doubt guys that I had a good teacher who kept me from making the basic mistakes. He pointed me in the right direction and I went from there. I don't want to lead you guys on by saying I did it from watching videos and reading. That is not the case. While I did read and watch anything I could find related to taxidermy, I would have never been able to turn out anything resembling a decent mount without someone pointing out what I was doing wrong. I enjoy reading the posts on this site and am looking forward to my second mount. I am going to my first taxidermy show next week in Altoona, PA and I hope to meet a few of you guys on here and learn a thing or two.

Thanks,

Ben

12. If there was a hole in the wall it would it would look like a live deer looking out

13. Bighunter4x4

Bighunter4x4 Member

looks good to me. looks like your ahead off schedule keep up the good work.

14. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

great

15. mimes

mimes New Member

Was gonna say the same thing.....you had some hands on help to get your first to look that good. Overall look good to me. Not sure i like the finish color around the eyes.

16. armymac26

armymac26 God made me really strong!! Not really smart!!!

Looks great keep it up.

17. walker

walker New Member

Wish my first one looked that good! ;)

18. ar delta

ar delta New Member

looks good to me. the only thing that i see, it may be the shadow, is the brisket looks alittle off.

i would put my first deer on here but i am ashamed of it. LMAO.

19. Nice job. Can't wait to see more of your work in the future.

20. denver2007

denver2007 New Member

ben nice deer looks like dave is a pretty good teacher keep up the great work denny