1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need help on BUFFALO SKULL!!!!

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Mathewsman_15, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Mathewsman_15

Mathewsman_15 New Member

Yes, I had a customer ask about a buffalo skull today! wouldn,t be much of a problem but I have not ever done one before. All that I have done is deer skulls and small mammals. I really don't know where to start on this thing and would appreciate any info, including removing the horns,how big a box I am going to need, And a big thing an Idea on what to charge on something like this. I hope somebody has some experience on these big suckers. Ps, I am using beetles, and dawn and water/amonia for degreasing if that helps.

Thanks in advance! Brett

2. Hey Brett,

I think that there was a thread about pricing a bison skull a day or two ago. There is not much to it. Let the little critters have at it, and whiten it when they get done.

Be Well,

Frank

3. help on BUFFALO SKULL!!!!

Matt
    I am just completing a buffalo skull-- if you have beetles-- let them do their thing-- at some point in the flesh-removal process the horns will begin to loosen-- and will eventually come off-- degrease & whiten in the normal way

No beetles???-- maceration the wolfwoman way -- will work just fine and -- whiten w/ dawn etc and whiten as above
    ORG

4. Mathewsman_15

Mathewsman_15 New Member

So it is ok to let the beetles have it with the horns on there?

5. No, wrap the horns in aluminum foil and tape the edge. the bottom of the horns will be soft and the beetles will have at it, best to wrap them to keep the beetles from chewing where you done want them to. Should be able to twist the horns off in a day or two
    tom

6. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

tom, thats the best one yet! I wrap elk antlers that are to big for my box to keep the beetles from crawling out. I would never put a buffalo head in with horns on as I have a very large and hot colony. The way they eat I wouldn't be surprised for them to eat quite a bit of sheath overnight. You just might have the best solution yet. THANKS! RD

fadetoblack72 likes this.
  7. Mathewsman_15

Mathewsman_15 New Member

Is this thing going to fit in an extra large storage tote, or am I going to have to make something. Also how hard am I going to have to twist to get the horns off without breaking them?

8. i would say you are going to have to make something. just remember, make a box large enough for the biggest skull you "think" you are going to do, then line it with epoxy. my largest box right noe is 4'x6' for elk, etc. personally i would simmer the sheaths off, it only takes about an hour, then you dont have to worry about the bugs eating anything you dont want to. you only need to simmer the sheaths, so the pot doesnt have to be that big,and the rest of the skull can be beetle cleaned. how big is your colony, if it isnt big yet, you might have to rehydrate the skull a couple of times during your process. it really isnt bad to do
    brian mikkelson
    www.beetles2bonestaxi.com

9. Mathewsman_15

Mathewsman_15 New Member

The colony is big enough to do a deer in a little over a week. Also how do you just get the sheaths in the water, I take it you just put it upside down?

10. tschuppan

tschuppan New Member

Brett you can do them one at a time in a smaller pot. I've told not boil the water just simmer

11. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

here you go...http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,71489.0.html

12. freddy d

freddy d New Member

I use saran wrap and duct tape around the horn sheath then keep checking until the horns loosen up usually only a couple days

13. tip the skull upside down, and prop up with something to hold it in place. i hate to say it but if it takes a week to do a deer, it would probably take a few if not more to do the buffalo. there is alot of skull there. i have also tried the tape and suran method as above. they chew on the suran wrap, and eat the tape also. it doesnt work for ME.just my 2 cents
    brian mikkelson
    www. beetles2bonestaxi.com

14. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

brian, not sure is freddy is simply sweating/rotting them off with the saran wrap. Its pretty common. I have always bagged them and put them in the beetle shed. Two days is most anything has taken to pop off. antelope, bighorn or buffalo.

15. Mathewsman_15

Mathewsman_15 New Member

Thanks guys all your help is appreciated! I just got him skinned and ready to try to get the sheaths off. I will post some pics when Im done.

Thanks again! Brett

16. freddy d

freddy d New Member

I sweat them off with saran wrap [t work good

17. fadetoblack72

fadetoblack72 Member

Good morning
    Can you tell me a bit about the type of plastic you used to keep them in? I have a moose bull I have to do that won’t fit in my 75g tank
    Thanks!

18. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Saw your other post. Might want to consider maceration if you have a safe space to do so. Might be able to adapt a plastic tote to fit the skull. Someone I know that does moose with beetles has them in a plastic fluid tank that he cut the top of of. He has the container in a warm garage so he doesn't heat the enclosure itself.

fadetoblack72 likes this.
  19. fadetoblack72

fadetoblack72 Member

Yeah I definitely don't have the space for that. Going to have to get crafty I think!!