1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first crappie.....what do ya think

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Taxidermydude017, Mar 5, 2008.

1. this is the first crappie that I have ever mounted. Its really my first customer mount because I mounted it for one of my dads friends, he was really happy with is and so was I. I ended up only making $25 profit for, but I needed the practice and I didnt have any whole crappies in the freezer. please let me know what you think. I know I have a little place in the middle of the fish that I put the yellow on a little too heavy. Also some of you may remember that I asked how to fix a messed up fin on a crappie. This is the one, it was missing a nickel sized chunk out of the top of the tail, I used the fin from the back side that you cut off to patch it and it came out really good
  2. mitchson1

mitchson1 New Member

wow looks very nice to me. did u use stencils to paint? or just free hand with an airbrush?

3. I free handed it
  4. mitchson1

mitchson1 New Member

i mounted a bass but the paint job wasnt the best. free handed it. what kind of airbrush do you use? what kind of paint?
  5. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

very nice, subtle coloring, I like it...ain't them things a pain to skin out!
  6. Mark in IL

Mark in IL New Member

I would hope that when I start learning how to do fish this summer that mine would turn out as good as that. It looks real to me.

7. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Good looking Crappie. Good job!
  8. ya, they are quite a pain to skin ..........I used a paashe double action airbrush and lifetone paints, silver matallic, jet black, pure white, paynes grey, golden yellow, and candy medium green
  9. mitchson1

mitchson1 New Member

great job man. i saved it in my reference folder
  10. animalxii

animalxii New Member

very nice! keep it up! ;D
  11. Very nice job! One thing to watch is not to trim the fins to smooth on the edges. I have a pair of scissors that make a jagged cut, I think they are for scrap booking. I use them lightly along the edge to give a natural shape to the fin edge.
  12. thanks for your comments everyone
  13. armymac26

armymac26 God made me really strong!! Not really smart!!!

looks good keep it up
  14. Whoa, did you make profit or just $25.00 in wages? There is a difference!!!!

Not bad, and you dont need an airbrush to paint fish.
  15. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

stick with it you have a future in fish
  16. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

nice job for a begginer looks like your eye is in backwards. Use some more colors on your next crappie add some shimmers and some more black especially high lighting the fins and lower your air pressure to darken the spotting I have seen some proffessional taxidermist mounts that look worse. Good start
  17. it cost me about $25 to mount the crappie, and I got paid $50 total....I didnt use shimmers becasue I am a little strapped on money right now, I plan on getting some soon though
  18. I agree that the eye looks backwards, but I think its the glare from the flash because I definately didnt set it that way
  19. looks darn good to me... I was thinking the eye looked a little 'off' put cannot put a finger on it.. not backwards per se, maybe angled a little downwards? I dunno, then again it could be the angle of the camera etc.

I do not do fish yet, really do not have much time to do anything, but hope mine turn out like that one... I doubt I would get any complaints on that type of quality...
  20. fishhouse

fishhouse New Member

thats a great looking crappie!