1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Permit me to STIR THE POT(LOL)

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Perca, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

One our colleagues has made himself...AHEM...."popular" by his ability to do fish from freezer to customer in 24 hours. Well, check this out....eh?

General Discussions / The Taxidermy Industry / Re: Why hide? on: Today at 08:54:00 AM
    do you know how many times I've been called Mr.T, ? Well, I'll never change my name of MT, but that does get annoying. Anyways, I also dont give out any more informatiom because if I did, I would have people beating down my door trying to figure out how they can get a fish done in one day. i mean last night at 5:00p.m, I skinned a 10 inch bluegill, 4 1/4 hours later, at 9:30p.m., I delivered that bluegill, finished and on driftwood, the guy loved it.

I am very interested in hearing some reactions to MT doing a panfish from skinning to customer is 4 1/4 hours. ;D ;D

2. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Perca,
    I'll respond to that after I have a 1/2 dozen or so beers,lol. I kinda thought that may have been one of MT's salmon in that post from earlier this week. The one that looked like it was painted with other than paint or sealer designed to be used in taxidermy applications. It also looked as if it was applied before the fish was totally dry.

PB

3. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

I don't normally respond to these i just get a good laugh at them but this guy really kills me. That is so not possible with fish dry time fill in shrinkage seal, paint etc. know possible way(at least if you want any kind of quality). My shop is really dry i have in floor heat witch if i put a fish on the floor with a fan it is externally dry within hours but the fish is not truly dry for a couple of days. Even if he has a chamber made with a dehumidifier in it with a fan you still shouldn't fill or seal for a couple of days. One more thing what he!! is the big rush 4 1/2 hours or two days this is not "burger world" taxidermy is not about how fast i can get it done it is about how good of a product you give your costumer!

Just my two cents

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

4 1/2 hours? What in the hell is taking so long? I think he could cut it down to two or three if he tried harder. "Thank you sir, now if you will just wait patiently in our waiting room and enjoy some complimentary coffee, I'll have that fish out to you as quickly as I can." What I want to know is, how does he get his customers to rush over and pick them up! If I have a guy show up within a week of being finished I'm thrilled.

5. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

LOL. name my new company.....Copymount? drop it off in the morning. Pick it up after a day at the mall. :D :D :D :D :D

6. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

Best I can figure he puts the fish in a trash bag, put a blow dryer with heat on one end and turns it on for a couple of hours and calls it good. I know thos boxes and such speed things up but I dont know how it could be dry that fast or why you would want it to be. Or how you could get someone out to pick it up 9:30.............I just looked again he delivered it. Wouldnt it be funny to get a knock on the door and 9:30 pm and it be a taxidermist that you dropped your fish off at earlier that day.

I like mt and if thats the way he wants to do it so be it. Who cares but I dont know how it could be completly dry or why he would want to do things so fast. Just the way it is.

7. Ron K

Ron K New Member

Why don,t he just have a drive through and get it over with,LOL.

8. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Pretty hard to charge a premium price when you show the customer ther was really nothing to it at all.

9. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

the guy called me up at 4:00 yesterday and asked if his fish was done, that he had to go to Virginia for two weeks and really wanted to show his buddies befor he went. Well, I told him I will have it done that evening, but not befor 9 oclock, well, he got his fish, turned out excellent, and I got paid 150 bucks, It was a personal best for me, I'll be trying to shave off a little time next time. Well, gotta go mount a salmon, guy needs it tomorrow(LOL)

10. MT How are you going to Degrease a salmon in a day?

11. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

wash salmon skin in clear water, mix up borax/dawn solution, let soak for 20 minutes, soak in gasoline for five minutes, rinse in cold water, throw back in borax solution for ten minutes, then rinse till all gas and dawn is out, there, about one hour and you're good to go. Easy to do!

12. No offense but I am skeptical.
    Are these lake Michigan fish?
    and if so what is your time frame for a spawning male brown say 10lbs

13. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Hey Josh. Better specify if that brown is with an artificial head or the real one. LOL, LMAO!!! ;D ;D

14. ok heck Artificial head and fins!
    Also MT do you use apoxie at all?

15. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

I figured it out it is very simple the fairy grants wishes to get it done.

16. What the heck are you guy's talkin aboout ?...I bet the thing looked "Fresh" !... ;D

Probably had great lookin colors !...(Just like you pulled it out of the lake !) . ;)

Buck....

17. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

you tell em Buck! I'lll never forget the time that I mounted a little largemouth about 16 inches long and he was finished on the wall ready to be picked up, and its heart was still beating on the table. No kidding! I'm sure you guys have experienced that with fish you've caught.

18. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

i've never used artificial fins and I use just a few art. heads. I have great luck with using the original heads of trout and smaller salmon. You guys gotta remember, I've been doing this for 37 years, I use and do what works best for me. Theres probably just a handful of guys on here that can make a real head work.

19. The questions was what is your ETA for a Spawning Lake Michigan brown trout, and do you use any epoxie putty to rebuild shrinkage.

As for the beating heart ::) I know that that is not possible! The heart will beat after a few minutes but after that amount of time it is not possible.
    If it did happen you have seen something Science has been dreaming about for hundreds of years.

20. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I use Apoxie Sculpt, and doing a ten pound brown is no different than doing a ten pound steelie or a ten pound salmon. I can have one finished in two days if I take my time. And also, Josh, you are WRONG! Oh, first, yes, I mount all Michigan fish, Anyways, I took a bass out of a bucket, alive, did my thing and five hours later it still was beating. No biggy there, I've seen that many times. In the winter time when it is cold, these things happen a lot. I am very good friends with two scientists, and they think nothing of it.