1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Permit me to STIR THE POT(LOL)

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Perca, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

That is where your logic is so flawed. Letting a fish dry on it's own is not work, and it costs no money. You are not saving any time by speed drying your fish. The only time you are saving is rushing your epoxy work and paint jobs, and most of us would rather not rush that part of the process. Whatever energy you use to speed dry your fish is actually costing you money, so you may want to re-think Wednesday's fishing trip.

2. wildwings

wildwings New Member

I guess a Wise Fish Master once told me if you are worried about doing a rush job to make money then raise your prices. So I did and you know what I was worried about the customers flipping out but they don't say anything but how nice the fish looks while paying for it. I did jump up $2.50 in 1 shot. I kinda felt bad till the first guy brought some fish in and he didn't care. This same person said who would you rather have as a customer? The guy that comes in with beer cans falling out of his truck ? Or the guy that comes in with top shelf whiskey bottles falling out of the truck ? Chances are the guy with the Whiskey bottle will bring you more work then the guy with the beer cans. (No offence to you beer drinkers)

3. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I disagree with that logic wildwings. I am the average joe lunchbucket guy. I take my heads to a guy that is higher than most in the area cause his work is outstanding. I have a friend that is a top bank exec. and he will not use him because he thinks he is too high. And he also says his work is some of the best.

4. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Many taxidermists know me, but only one knows me as MT. Now, that could be my nicknane, my initials, or short for Michigan Taxidermist, it could even stand for several other things or one thing in particular. I am in Michigan and have never hid that fact. I dont want anyone at my shop. I dont like drop-ins, if I am expecting someone to drop something off or pick something up, that is my own business. And yes Cole, I may have to think twice on that fishing trip next Wednesday, I may have to drive to GR. And also, I dont rush my paint jobs, I'm just fast at what I do! Right now, I am going to skin out a walleye and mount it, I will post pictures tonight when he is finished. It may be about 11 but it will be tonight.

5. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

"Right now, I am going to skin out a walleye and mount it, I will post pictures tonight when he is finished. It may be about 11 but it will be tonight." That means taking a walleye from A to Z in about 12 hours...eh? I'll bet that will get some reactions. (Stir, Stir,Stir)... ;D :D

6. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

starting to carve the body right now, took 28 minutes to skin and flesh and clean out the walleye, it's about a 6 pound fish, hey perca, do you have any suggestions on a body style. Maybe you'll see this in the next five minutes, just let me know, I going to start carving!

7. Terry

Terry De-lighted to be living in Alaska!

The bottom line is this: without concrete proof of your claims MT, this will never change. I have to agree with others who have said that if you really can do it and it works for you, more power to you. I do have some of my own doubts about some of the things you describe, but I am not willing to summarily say "No, it can't be done." I also think probably whoever said you get something of a kick out of riling people on here is right as well, even if your methods work. If I had people hassling me this much I would want to do everything in my power to prove myself... either that or I'd stop talking about it. So I suspect that on some level you enjoy the pot being stirred.

It seems to me that the only way to really back this up is to have an objective minded person from this site and within a reasonable distance from you to come to your place and see firsthand just how it can be done. That way that person would have one of two things he or she could share with everyone else: Huh... it really does work OR Nope, he's full of crap. Now, I suspect you're going to hit that note again about your secrets that have been developed over years and years and year. I don't often have strong negative feelings about ideas shared on this site, but if that's the case then you need to just shut up about it all and you can to continue to hoard your little secrets until you can take them to the grave. I have made personal contact with a number of individuals on here that have shared their own "secrets" in the hopes it will help me to better my work. In turn I do the same whenever I have the opportunity. To brag about it incessantly, and then say "Nope... it's a secret" puts me in mind of a great many lower elementary kids I have had in my classrooms through the years. The thing is, most of us grow out of it.

My wife called while I was trying to type this... terminated my connection. I just know there's going to be 8 other posts since reconnecting. :D

C'mon MT... put up on this or shut up. And posting photos doesn't cut it. Have someone observe (teach them!) so we can all have some form of reliable verification... or find some other fish related issue to talk about that you CAN share about. I am really not trying badger you either; personally I really don't see the need for the rush (your arguments notwithstanding) but I think it would be neat for you to be able to prove your claims (it's always fun to root for an underdog).

8. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I would love to come and watch. I am free any day. I am 10 minutes from Flint MI. And I would love to see it happen. Heck, I'll even bring my own lunch. ;D

9. AUplantman

AUplantman New Member

If he mounted it today, then why is the pic dated January 22. :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

the only fish I mounted today was that walleye and it is now in the drying room. The pike I mounted back in Jan. and the perch were a few years ago. I'm a long way from flint Mi, and I speak the truth!

11. AUplantman

AUplantman New Member

??? ??? ???

12. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

I thought that was the point of this entire site. To get rid of the very old school mentality much like Magicians withholding all their 'tricks'. To share ideas, talents, techniques etc. to better each other and the industry as a whole. Spread the information to help one another. If you have something that could literally revolutionize the entire fishing taxidermy industry and you holding out yet gaining nothing by holding out? WHy do it?

13. Agreed.

If you dont want to share the info then Keep it to yourself.

Every time somebody says "3 months later and his fish was done" or "I spent 18 hours on this fish" Speedy gonzalez pops in and says "Why so long, i would have had it in his hands by the end of the day"

It seem to me like you like the attention and nothing more.
    You are offering no tips
    and all you are doing is bragging, all the while thinking we are all jealous of your mad skills. Yet nobody is! We are all ok letting the fish dry naturally while we work on other things.

You are not making a bigger profit by rushing, other then running the risk of a fire in your drying room, or jacking up your electricity bill.
    In fact if you let them dry naturally and "If" you had other fish to work on you would actually Make MORE $MONEY$ by taking your time.

This is about attention and nothing more in my opinion.

14. fishdude

fishdude New Member

MT- Here's a little secret....I'm just talking to you, I don't want anyone else to see this. This is a super secret communication.
    If your kick is to do a good quality mount in as little time as possible that's great. If that is the goal, you will shorten your time by doing several fish at once instead of getting one fish done in the shortest elapsed time. When you skin fish, and do several at once you save the extra time of cleaning up the mess, getting out tools etc. Same is true on degreasing, same for epoxy work, same for carving bodies, same for painting. If you really think you are impressing a customer (or us) by turning a fish around in 4-8 hrs the joke is on you.

15. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

M.T., sorry to here that you were not close to Flint. If you are to the north, I am going to be in the Gladwin area all weekend and most of next week if that is anywhere near you. I would still love to check it out. Are you in the U.P.?That might be too far.

16. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

MT,
    You have the perfect opportunity to show us a few things at the Michigan Show next week......

17. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Yeah great idea! you can do a bluegill demo.. Maybe turn it into a DVD while you are doing it. I see the title now......30 minute slabs. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

18. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

He doesn't, don't stroke his ego. I guarantee corners are being cut , if in fact he is doing fish that quickly. I would love to do some hands on examinations of some of these 24 hour cold water fish, especially ones with the original heads.

PB

19. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I dont know if I'll take the drive to GR next week, the way I look at it is, with gas at 3.35 right now, probably more next week, and a membership, that kills a hundred bucks right there. i dont know, we'll see.

20. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf umm BACON

Gladwin is not that far away Mark