1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Permit me to STIR THE POT(LOL)

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Perca, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

Get a ride from one of these guys the cat needs to be out of the bag.

2. Terry

Terry De-lighted to be living in Alaska!

duxdog... 30 Minute Slabs... THAT was funny! :D :D :D :D

3. Terry

Terry De-lighted to be living in Alaska!

And MT: 3.35???? We have been at 4.98 for six months.... talk to me when you get that high.

One thing I miss about living where I do is the chance to get to a state convention. Apparently we don't have an association up here and at $400 round trip to make it to Anchorage I would have to do some saving up to think about going to a convention anywhere.

I understand money can be tight but I cannot imagine that being an honest to goodness legitimate restraint. And besides, from what I gather on here, Michigan is fairly teeming with taxidermists. Surely there is someone on here that would be willing to make the drive to you.

4. den007

den007 Active Member

Wow....this is getting long. I do believe it would be possible to do a smaller fish overnight using some chemical to draw moisture out of the skin, and then some kind of pretty severe heat tratment. Heck, I might try it just to write an unusual article and see if I could pull it off. As for any epoxy rebuilding, some of the quick set stuff might work. I would not, could not do this for any customer.....still working of fish I took in last May, but I am sure there are some out there who may try it now just to see. Cannot believe in the Lake Michigan salmon and trout story. Even a freeze drier cannot preserve fat and grease.....only meat. As for the beating heart......I too have had the sicko experience of pithing turtles in physiology ......when refrigerated in Ringer's solutiion, they can still be ticking the next day. I would guess a heart in fish body fluids kept cold might do the same.

5. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

A little off topic but,............

In Kansas I caught some largemouth bass and brought them home in the livewell...time between being caught and put in the sink alive...about 45 minutes. As I was filleting the bass I checked their stomachs (always did this when cleaning fish) and out came a crawling crawdad...totally alive. I put him a bucket of water and went and released him back into the lake I caught the bass from the next day. Anything is possible...except the fish mounting story in a few hours LOL

Although I don't believe MT...I do believe he is sparky our thoughts on trying to think outside the box...and to that i say KUDOS :)

Kerby...

6. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

"Wow....this is getting long." I'll take that as a compliment Den. ;D Six pages worth of discussion about doing fish in warp speed....4 1/4 hours for s panfish, 12 hours for a walleye, and we all remember that 24 hr pike. It sounds like we're going to get to see that walleye pretty soon...eh? Bring it on! (Stir, stir, stir) ;D

7. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

I trying to look at this neutral. I earlier suggested just have a small one done by him to settle it. Though this came up later that got me thinking
    Besides the room taken up by drying fish unless there is an early completion bonus involved No extra is being made. In the end if anything your paying for energy the other guy doesn't use. Now even if this was true there's no bonus. No reason to speed it up even if it worked. Is there?

8. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/taxedermylist_85724_7.PDF

Only three M.T.s in the state of Michigan

9. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

my daughter is having three friends over tonight for her birthday, I forgot about that, we just got back from the swimming pool for three hours, walleye is totally bone hard dry, ready to finish, but I'm too tired, will do it in the morning, Paul, why does everyone think MT are my initials? What ever happened to Paul B?

10. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Thanks Kerby, dont ever say something cant be done until you've tried it and proved it cant be done. I've got 37 years of trying, I think I should know a few things about fish taxidermy.

11. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf umm BACON

Hey Mark or" MT". Does Frank know your doing all these fish?

12. I'm just going to wait patiently for the article Dennis will write on the subject. Surely this will answer all the questions.

13. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

M.T. I am Paul B, always have been, never any anonymity needed here. Any one can ask anything and I'll tell them, no secrets. And for your information I can do a small to medium sized fish in less than 4 hours, but that is elapsed time, only an idiot would try to dry a fish in minutes and then try to finish it in a hurry. I guess the uneducated public can only blame themselves for the quality of work they settle for. After 37 years of doing fish, you should know some things. Spouting off on here on how "I never use reference, do not need it" and other ridiculous claims, really shows how much you've learned or not learned in 37 years. I do remember when you brought in your steelhead to the MTA show, the first time. Some people do pay attention to things. Twelve or so years later you bring another steelhead and it looks exactly the same. Talk about being caught in a time warp. Stop by my booth next week and I'll give you some awesome steelhead refernce, it nevers hurts to try something new.

PB Pescado Paul B Paul Borkowski

14. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Paul, I am tryin to get a steelhead (replica)done before the show(if I can find an extra $100). Will you take the time to check it over for me and give me some pointers.

Gus

EDIT: I just went back to the main page.....over 1250 hits on this thread.I almost sprayed my coffee all over my laptop. Nice job pot stirrer. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

15. Ihntdeer

Ihntdeer Member

I know this has nothing to do with fish taxidermy, but I overheard a lady the other day saying that it only took her husband 5 minutes to mount a beaver, now thats fast
    ! ;D

16. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Sure will, just bring it by my booth in the suppliers area. Have you painted up one of those bluegills yet? Is the back of the replica steelhead going to be painted?

17. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

No on the gil, I'll try and get one done. I am not painting the backside of the steelhead. I will try to brind some photos of step by step so you can suggest some dos and don'ts. Are you doing anything on molding at the show? My brother called me yesterday. He is over in NY steelhead fishing. He said they are catching 25-30 steelies a day and some fat football browns. He is keeping a few whole for me to practice on.

18. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

why cant Paul and I get along? Paul, I have pm'd and emailed you a few times over the last year and you have never answered me back. Hell, I even told you how great of a taxidermist I thought you were, but no reply. I could tell a killer story on a steelhead that I took to the MI show, but being so close to convention time, I dont want to do that. The very first steelhead I ever took is in my Living Room in my house in a glass coffee table and is still a Great fish. I'll never forget the time Rhineharts were putting on a mini-seminar, competition, in Lansing MI. That must have been about fifteen years ago. There was to be just 3 ribbons given out, a first, second, and third. Well, I showed up at last minute with a steelhead, and everyone oohed and ahhed over it, well Dan placed the only Blue ribbon on it and told me he could've done any better. I believe that he won the IGT with a steely that year. Anyways, I look at that fish every day, it has a few flaws, but still pretty nice for a 1988 mount. Anyways guys, I'm sorry for coming off as an egotisticle fish taxidermist. I've been on taxi.net for many years now and it wasn't till the last year that I've really given any advise. It's true that I have been doing taxidermy for 37 years, I'm only 47, I mounted my first fish when I was ten. I'll never forget it, it was a 8 inch bluegill and I didn't know what to do. I skinned it out and had read about borax, so I packed borax into it and sewed it up. Now what do I do I asked myself? I put it on a board that I had made, complete with woodburned edges, and I shellaced it to the board. I didn't have glass eyes, didn't even know where you could get them(I was 10), so I used an aspirin and painted it. I thought it looked good! After about ten coats of Bullseye Shellac, that beast was there to stay. I proudly hung that thing in my bedroom with my other two brothers and they would throw darts at it and knock it off the wall after a few years. Well, when I was 12, I did my Art and Science fair project on taxidermy and used my fish and took first place. Wow, that was cool! I also had killed a nice mallard that fall, my second duck, and tried to mount it. I remember I didn't know how to skin out the head so I left it in. I remember that thing stinking up the school, that was bad, but hey, that was 1972 and I was just a kid.I still get razzed about the aspirin eye to this day. I just painted it yellow with a black pupil. anyways, back to taxi.net, I used to just sit back and read what everyone talked about, never really seeing anything that I hadn't tried, still dont, but it always got me wondering why people would write in asking how long it takes to dry a fish and get answers like three weeks, two weeks, a month! Thats what sparked my comments, the rest is history. Lets END THIS POST right now, I've got to go finish this twenty hour walleye! (LOLOL)

19. fishdude

fishdude New Member

Is anyone else getting tired of this. MT seems to thrive on the attention. I'm done clicking on this.

20. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

thank you fishdude, I too am done with this post. I do not thrive on this attention, but I'm sure there are people out there that do, I mean what the hell, with that many views and only a half dozen people commenting, we have to be entertaining Someone! i'm done now, time to jump over to the bird forum and start some chit there!( Just Kidding) Later guys!