1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

VA is a pain in the @SS!

Discussion in 'Training' started by chytla, Mar 6, 2008.

  1. chytla

    chytla New Member

    has anyone tried to use the GI bill to pay for a Taxidermy School? I am working with Missouri Taxidermy Institute to try to get in the 4 week class but the VA is giving me a hard time. i am just wondering if anyone has successfully done this before? i need to know what to do?
  2. I think the only way that is going to work is to find an accredited college that offers taxidermy. I have seen some colleges that offer this. not many but some. I went through the same thing a few years back ( not for taxidermy ) and in the end it boiled down to i had to go to an accredited college.

  3. Scrubby

    Scrubby New Member

    The VA paid for mine but it was a vocational rehab program. The same as above must be an acredited scholl or vocational school. They can be a pain but you have to learn the system and work within their guidelines. In order to qualify for a voc rehab VA program you must be at least 20% service connected disability.
  4. Joe Winsor

    Joe Winsor Active Member

    I'm in the same boat. It boils down to accredidation. You need to find a Community College or Trade school that has taxi part of the course offerings OR pay out of pocket.
  5. Randy Hamson

    Randy Hamson New Member

    Stoney Hills School of Taxidermy is an approved VA school...The case worker may need some coaching and every case is a bit different...if you have any questions feel free to call 320-749-2128, or email me at [email protected]

    Best Regards
    Randy Hamson
  6. there are VA approved schools out there... I thought I replied to this post a while back, unless it was an almost identical one...

    anyhoo, you can get with the VA rep and ask for a list of ones approved, OR simply look at the schools listed and see if they are approved....

    it can be done, but your playing field of choices for schools will be narrowed...
  7. Joe Winsor

    Joe Winsor Active Member

    I'm still active duty, has anyone used Army or Military tution assistance to pay for taxidermy schools?
  8. I do not know Joe---- if the school was approved for VA, then tuition assistance SHOULD be okay, but the problem you have is being near the darn thing to where you can take the classes... unless you were to be granted permissive TDY for the duration of the course... I think it would be difficult... I am rusty on the TA rules.. as it falls into the Vo-Tech stuff, I do not know for sure if it would qualify.. should, but unsure....
  9. Joe Winsor

    Joe Winsor Active Member

    There is a school only an hour from Ft Carson that offers 2 to 3 week block classes. Whole course is 9.5 weeks. I could take leave for each over the next 2.5 yrs before I retire. I already used the GI Bill for the computer degree I have (I hate computers;D )
    I already checked with the Ed Center and they said they will pay for anything that is accredited with the college accrediting programs. Doesn't look good for me.
  10. retiredmn1

    retiredmn1 Guest

    I did a little research for you guys and came up wit the following list of Taxidermy schools that are GI Bill approved:

    2nd Nature School of Taxidermy - Montana
    Bill Allen's Pocono Institute of Taxidermy - Pennsylvania
    Colorado Institute of Taxidermy Training - Colorado
    NW Iowa School of Taxidermy - Iowa
    Missoula Valley School of Taxidermy - Montana
    Academy of Realistic Taxidermy - Montana
  11. Joe Winsor

    Joe Winsor Active Member

    where did you find that list?
  12. retiredmn1

    retiredmn1 Guest

    Here are a few more:

    Central Texas School of Taxidermy - Texas
    Dan Rinehart's School of Taxidermy - Wisconsin
    Kindred Spirits School of Taxidermy - Iowa
    Missouri Taxidermy Institute - Missouri - Call to verify
  13. retiredmn1

    retiredmn1 Guest

    Found these by individually visiting Schools in the quick links section in the upper right of this forum. I then went through each and every web site.

    I also typed in GI Bill approved Taxidermy schools into Google and found this:

    These programs allow qualified veterans to use GI Bill educational benefits while in
    training and earning a wage.
    Types of Training Include:
    Construction Trade
    Dog Groomer
    Funeral Director
    Real Estate Appraiser
    Waste Management
    Power Plant Operator
    Minimum length of training must be at least 6 months
  14. Joe - remember, ifthey are approved for the GI Bill, they still might no be on the TA list... they are ridiculous on some of these rules...

    this is one of those circular arguments, where logic is implied... but not necessarily the case.. FRUSTRATING to say the least...
  15. Bill Dishman

    Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

    we take several students every year who are using GI Bill and VA Benefits. The initial paperwork is usually the worst part, then after approval everything goes smoothly.
  16. Scrubby

    Scrubby New Member

    I know someone who used ta in north carolina to go to piedmonts course when they had it going.
  17. Joe Winsor

    Joe Winsor Active Member

    Is that Piedmont Community College? They are an accredited school and that makes the differance.
  18. Jesse M

    Jesse M "it is what it is"

    Wegner's School of Taxidermy in Milton, Wisconsin is also VA approved they have a website listed in school section of this website or you can call Ron Wegner at 608-868-4022 for any further questions
  19. cotaxidermy

    cotaxidermy New Member

    What is the problem you are having with the VA? Colorado Institute of Taxidermy Training works with students every year from the VA and is familiar with many of the issues they present. We are required to attend a class to re-new our certification to better assist VA students. Maybe I can help.
  20. cotaxidermy

    cotaxidermy New Member

    A school does NOT have to be accredited to be used on the GIBILL. It only needs to be approved by the VA approving agency in their state. The certifying officials from each school are required to attend classes and have a full inspection by the VA Approving agency each year.

    In order to have "tuition assistance" from individual military bases, is where accreditation is a little more sticky.
    Please call your school to find out if they are approved and allowed to help with VA benefits. The school is never able to tell you what the VA will approve, they are only able to certify you as a student and help with your paperwork. You will be able to find out your own benefits online at the GI BILL website. Once you know you are attending an apporoved school, then they school's certifying official will send the VA the paperwork so you can get your money.
    Hope this helps.
    Anne Vinnola
    Colorado Institute of Taxidermy Training.