1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Importing turkey from mexico??

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Budders, Mar 6, 2008.

  1. Budders

    Budders New Member

    I have a good customer that is going to Mexico to shoot a turkey. He told me that he needs my U.S.D.A # and date it was acquired. Does anybody know what I need to do and how long it takes to get one? Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
  2. wings II

    wings II New Member

    Call Kevin Brocato at Masters of the Sky in Shreveport Louisiana and he can give you all the details. He has his USDA permit. You need to act quickly as customs will check the bird against the computer when he tries to re-enter the US, if he doesn't provide the name of a USDA permit holding taxidermist they will not allow the bird into the US :)

  3. duxrus

    duxrus Active Member

    My understanding is YOU must have the permit to do out of country birds. Someone who has one cannot recieve birds then hand them off to someone else to do the work unless they are over seeing the work. (If they get caught get ready to get the checkbook out and bye bye permit) I got a permit last year and it took over a month once you get the ball rolling and have them come by for your inspection. You will need certain chemicals and a seperate freezer for the birds. They will not let them be stored with other birds. The carcasses will have to be incinerated for disposal and be prepared to spend abround 480.00 ish the first year of permitting....basicly it is a royal pain in the butt and I charge 40.00 extra per bird to recoup all my costs. Good luck.
  4. Budders

    Budders New Member

    Thanks for the replies. I live in Iowa and as much as I hate to turn down a customer, I just dont think I can justify spending that much on a permit. I doubt I will get any other imports. Thanks again for the info!!
  5. Limbhanger66

    Limbhanger66 Member

    If 13 million illegal mexicans can find there way here it shouldnt be too hard to sneak a turkey in........

    Sorry, bad attitude. :D

    Good luck!
  6. limbhanger, I was thinking along the same lines... then again I think along the same lines every time I see a roadkill raptor... sheer force of will to keep on driving like I did not see anything...

    Budders, this is the same reason I do not have my federal permit to allow me to do the migratory birds... I am learning brids slowly and until I am ready to start taking them in.... I just am not going to pay the permit fees... is the USDA permit for birds only, or do you need to have it for mammals as well? I am thinking along the lines of taking in African species or whitetails/mulies from mexico... etc...
  7. mjvaden

    mjvaden New Member

    Jerry, You will need to be a USDA approved facility to be able to import mammals from countries other the Canada or Mexico. The alternative to this is is to have your clients's trophies it to a USDA approved tannery. They can treat them for you and return the horns and tanned hides to you. There are quite a few tanneries doing this service now.

    Now on the turkeys.... If you can find a USDA approved taxidermist that is willing to handle the turkey for you, what they would have to do is skin wash and semi dry the skin for you. Once this is done then they could send it to you.

    We have provided this service for other friends that are taxidermist. Our charges are $225. for turkey, $80 for quail, and $150 for ducks. This sounds like a lot of money but the bird is pretty much ready to mount when you get it.

    Once you get the ball rolling to apply for your USDA it can take as long as 6 months before you are listed in there system.
  8. duxrus

    duxrus Active Member

    USDA told me you could get the skins fleshed and preped then hand them off to someone else but I have been waiting 8 months for that in writing.....SLOW isn't the word for them..... :-\