1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

GETTIN STARTED

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by 10inchbeard, Mar 8, 2008.

1. 10inchbeard

10inchbeard Member

Hello everyone, I am just trying to get started in taxidermy. I have long been interested and now I'm taking the leap. LOL. :) I am interested in all taxidermy but I don't want to start with the most difficult. I have three deer hides to practice with, also four waterfowl a mallard, scalp, wood duck, and a scalp. My question would be is there any one critter easier to start with than the other. Also like I said I'm just gettin started so finances is slim, what would be the TEN most important tools in your shop. Thanks for the advise. :D :)

2. zachhanel

zachhanel New Member

buy a deer mounting video and watch it and then look at getting a kit, if finances are slim the ten most important would be expensive, watch a video

3. 10inchbeard

10inchbeard Member

thanks Zach, I have two videos, Dan Rinehart and vandikes beginner series. I have two waterfowl videos, three fish, two strutting turkey, and a caping and tanning video. Some of the tools I have is a scalpel, skife, air brush, and air compressor.

4. zachhanel

zachhanel New Member

thats enough videos you should have an idea of what to do, don't worry about it being perfect the first time just go measure a cape order a kit if your hides aren't tanned and then dive in, there's no time like the present

5. laci

laci New Member

I would say besides a flesher it would be scissors,scapel,air brush,dremel tool,air compressor,skife knife,needle and thread,wire wheel, and ear turners.

6. Ed Chambers

Ed Chambers New Member

Items as mentioned, plus reference photos are always a must. Ed.

7. tara4574

tara4574 TM

I'm just starting out too, and I didn't have much to invest either.....I am just doing waterfowl though. I was able to find most of the items I need pretty cheap. Check Hobby Lobby, Michael's and if you have a Harbor Freight or other discount tool store, you can find many things you need cheaper than most of the catalogs, and don't have to wait for shipping.....
    Hope that helps

8. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

Your money would be well spent to purchase a video on what ever specimin you wish to tackle first. Then you will be able to see what basic tools you may need. :D

9. 10inchbeard

10inchbeard Member

Thanks everyone I hope to have something to show in the next few weeks. Thanks again Keith

10. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

Sounds like you should be ready just get er done and have fun.